Why book a rental car with us?
24/7 customer support
Finding your way with Taupo Airport car hire
Explore the heart of the North Island with a Taupo car rental. The incredible lake and surrounding landscapes offer some of New Zealand’s best sightseeing opportunities and adventure activities. The downtown is teeming with dining options and waterfront stays, plus relaxing hot springs are only a short drive away. Compare Taupo car hire to find the best deal and GoSee it all.
Explore our special offers
Driving tips for Taupo
Taupo is a small regional airport and a breeze to get around. Upon landing you’ll see the car rental agents across from the arrival lounge. Collect your luggage, then head to the counter to pick up your keys and find the rental car park located just outside the terminal. Every car hire agency is located on-site at the airport, unless you booked a vehicle from a city centre depot.
- Taupo is a straightforward town to get around, with well-marked signs leading you to top destinations and to the highway.
- Expect the outer city roads to reach speed limits up to 100km/h while the city speed limits drop down to 30km/h due to high pedestrian traffic.
- The scenic lakeside drive on State Highway 1 south of Taupo is a long, winding road with beautiful views. Keep your eyes on the road and be prepared to slow down.
- Traffic is minimal in this holiday town, however, the main street along the lake often slows down during peak holiday weekends.
- You may lose mobile phone reception if you are travelling the outskirts of Taupo, so be sure to plan your route ahead of time.
Where to go in your Taupo Airport car rental
As a top tourist destination situated smack dab in the middle of the North Island, Taupo offers myriad outdoor activities, lovely dining opportunities, and fantastic cultural experiences.
See a mix of it all in your Taupo car hire:
Watch a million litres of water pour over the powerful waterfall every few seconds; it’s mesmerising and just a short walk from the carpark.
Craters of the Moon
Teleport to another planet while strolling along the boardwalk at this geothermal park.
The Haka Shop
Enjoy a traditional Maori Hangi dinner and a show learning the history of the local tribes.
Tongariro National Park
Located an hour south of Taupo, this vast National Park is home to the famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing, a number of waterfalls and ski resorts.
Geothermal hot pools
Unwind at one of the many hot springs situated around the city. Choose from a range of free, affordable and luxurious experiences.
What Taupo car rental is right for your trip
Here are a few tips to help you select a Taupo car hire:
- For budget travellers, choose an economy or compact size hatchback or sedan for best petrol mileage—often the cheapest booking option.
- If you plan to drive to Tongariro National Park or spend a lot of time exploring rugged terrain, pick out a SUV designed for the mountain roads.
- See more of the North Island and drive your car rental Taupo to Auckland. Check for one-way rental deals, which come up from time to time.
What our customers say
The daily rate of a car hire at Taupo Airport is dependent on many factors including time of the year, length of hire, and type of vehicle. Use our comparative site and book early to better your chances for securing a great rate.
Taupo Airport offers rental cars from the following agencies: Avis Taupo, Budget Rentals Taupo, Hertz Taupo, and Thrifty.
If you do not possess a New Zealand driving license, you may need an international driving permit depending on your car hire agency. Some allow valid foreign driver licenses in English, but it's best to check the rental terms or reach out to the company. If your driver’s license is in a foreign language you will need an International Driving Permit or official translation.
Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty have added enhanced cleaning to every car hire to ensure the safest measures for your rental car experience. Contactless pick up is also an option for Avis and Budget.
The minimum age to hire a car from Taupo Airport with Hertz is 18 years old, while Avis, Budget and Thrifty have a minimum age of 21 years old. A young driver’s surcharge may apply for those under the age of 25. Check the rental terms agreement for more details.
Taupo is only 10 minutes away from Taupo Airport. Simply exit the airport in your car hire, taking a right onto Lake Terrace which leads into the downtown region.
The cheapest car hire agency alters depending on car availability and deals provided by our partner providers. Compare up-to-date prices using the search box at the top of the page. It’s best to book early to secure the best price on your Taupo Airport car hire.
Yes, most car hire agencies allow one-way transfers. Enter your details when you book to find out which allow it and how much they charge for the convenience. Check the rental terms for any additional details.
Taupo Airport car rentals comprise a range of vehicles from economy size to SUV. Do note that supply is not as plentiful as some of our larger rental locations so it is best to book well in advance to get your desired Taupo car hire.
Along the main highway into Taupo and the rural sections, the speed limit reaches up to 100km/h, however, in the town centre it sits between 30 and 50 km/h. Please abide by posted signs.