Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Go coastal with a Gisborne car rental
A Gisborne car rental is the best way to maximise your trip to the East Coast in the North Island. Soak up the sun at one of the many stunning beaches, sample the local drop at multiple world class wineries, and get active with myriad outdoor opportunities right on your doorstep. Hit the road less travelled and GoSee it all.
Picking up rental cars in Gisborne
You can collect your rental car as soon as you land at Gisborne Airport. Car hire companies such as Avis, Hertz, Budget, and Thrifty Car Rental Gisborne have on-site car rental counters in the terminal building, so it’s quick and easy to grab your car keys as soon as you’ve picked up your luggage. Gisborne Airport (GIS) is a small regional airport, with fairly limited facilities and direct flight services to just two cities: Auckland and Wellington.
Getting around Gisborne in your airport car hire
- It’s just over 4 kilometres and a 7-minute drive via Childers Rd into central Gisborne from the airport.
- Check for local road closures before heading out in your Gisborne Airport car rental. Road closures can occur from time to time due to roadworks or inclement weather.
- Check weather reports and drive to the conditions. In severe weather, adjust your travel plans.
- Parking in the CBD is metered and charged Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm and Saturday 9am - 12 noon. You can find some free parking on Bright Street and a few other side streets and shopping venues.
- Speed was a top factor in road crashes over the last decade in the Gisborne area, leading to a call for reduced speed limits. Drive slowly, particularly around corners, on unsealed roads, and rural roads in general.
Hit the highlights in your Gisborne Airport rental car
Besides the stunning coastal scenery around every bay, your Gisborne rental car will get you to gorgeous golf courses, incredible wineries, and delectable dining venues.
Other hot spots include:
- Tairāwhiti Museum - One of New Zealand’s best museums, it is the premier place to get acquainted with the arts, culture and heritage of the Tairāwhiti Region.
- Makorori Beach and Wainui Beach - Enjoy beautiful picnic areas, serene rock pools, and incredible waves for surfing enthusiasts.
- Maunga Hikurangi - Be the first to see the sun at the sacred mountain of the Ngāti Porou people. Nine awe-inspiring carvings offer a unique glimpse into Māori heritage.
Top tips for car hire Gisborne
- The one-way car rental Gisborne to Auckland option is available for road-tripping travellers. An additional fee may apply, but keep an eye out for one-way rental deals.
- The supply of rental cars in Gisborne can be limited, so it is advisable to book yours well in advance. This also gives you a better chance of locking in a lower rental rate and securing your ideal vehicle.
- Hertz NZ is a popular choice in Gisborne and gets great customer reviews.
What our customers say
How much is it to hire a car at Gisborne Airport?
Prices will fluctuate based on season and availability. Type your details into the search box above to find and compare the most up-to-date rates from multiple brands at Gisborne Airport.
Which car hire agencies are at Gisborne Airport?
All of the best Gisborne Airport car hire brands can be found on our website, including Hertz, Thrifty, Avis, Budget and Mystery Brand. Simply enter your travel dates and we will provide you with a list of the available Gisborne car rentals with all of the details you need to compare brands and make a decision.
Is it cheaper to rent a car at the airport or offsite?
On-site airport car rentals typically charge higher rates as it is more convenient for customers to pick up a car hire straight after getting off the plane, rather than take a shuttle to pick it up from an offsite location. On the other hand, you can save a bit of money and use a free pick-up service (or provide your own transportation), if you decide to get a rental car from an off-airport location.
How old do I have to be to rent a car from Gisborne Airport?
Hertz will allow you to rent a car in Gisborne at the age of 18, but most car hire companies only accept drivers aged 21 and over. All agencies typically charge additional fees to drivers under the age of 25.
How far is downtown Gisborne from Gisborne Airport?
Gisborne Airport is located just 4 kilometres away from the city downtown, a 7-minute drive via Childers Rd in your Gisborne car hire.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental in Gisborne?
Yes, you can typically book your Gisborne car hire now and pay later when you pick it up. Most rentals on GoSee offer instant confirmation and free cancellation.
Can I rent a car in Gisborne and return it somewhere else?
Yes. It is possible to drop off your Gisborne rental vehicle at another depot location. This option usually incurs an additional fee, but keep an eye out for one-way rental deals from Gisborne.
Do I need to return my rental car with a full tank?
Yes, you will need to top up your fuel tank before you drop off your hire car at Gisborne Airport. Waitomo Gisborne is the nearest petrol station to the airport.
What is the speed limit in Gisborne?
Current speed limits in Gisborne are: 50 km/h in the CBD, 50 km/h in residential areas, and 100 km/h on highways, but the Council is working through a proposal to lower limits due to the number of road crashes caused by speed in the last decade. Drive slowly, particularly on unsealed roads and in residential areas.
Which car hire companies have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Most of the major brands of car hire in Gisborne have updated their health and safety protocols due to COVID-19 to make sure vehicles are clean and disinfected. These rental companies include Hertz NZ and Thrifty Car Rental.
5 great tips for an unforgettable car hire Sydney holiday with kids29 September 2022 9 minutes to read
5 Different Types of Accommodation in the Gold Coast for every Traveller22 September 2022 12 minutes to read
Top 3 tips for visiting Perth’s national parks in a campervan hire21 September 2022 13 minutes to read