Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Hamilton Airport car rental: Wandering the Waikato
Secure your Hamilton car hire to discover a growing community with a rich history, vibrant downtown, and magnificent gardens. This North Island city of 170K extends along the mighty Waikato River and is just a short drive away from bustling Auckland, and numerous exciting outdoor activities.
Helpful info for your Hamilton car hire
While Hamilton isn’t as congested as Auckland, multiple highways pass through this central city making it confusing for those unfamiliar with the area. Plan your route beforehand and prepare for peak hour traffic as well as road works.
Hamilton road rules to be aware of:
- Keep an eye out for cyclists and share the road.
- Slow down at roundabouts and pedestrian crossings.
- Speed limits in Hamilton range from 30 to 70km/h—adhere to posted signs.
- Parking in the CBD is free for two hours. Check signage regarding limits and payments before leaving your car rental at Hamilton Airport.
- This is a growing city, which means lots of road works. Be prepared for detours, and slow down when passing construction zones.
Find your way in the Waikato
Hamilton Airport car rental providers are located on the ground level across from the baggage claim and next to the entrance and exit doors. The regional airport is a simple layout so once you land, head downstairs to collect your vehicle.
Once you’ve secured your Hamilton car hire from the airport depot, drive just 15 to 20 minutes to the city centre. If you are new to the Waikato region, add-on a GPS to get around with ease. Make sure you’ve pre-booked insurance and roadside assistance so you don’t have to worry about a thing during your trip around Hamilton. Here are a few of the many attractions in the region accessible with your Hamilton car hire.
Car rental Hamilton Airport: Must-see sights
It is so convenient to have your own transportation while exploring New Zealand's north island. So hop in your hire car Hamilton Airport and head to these wonderful sights:
- Hamilton Gardens is an expansive park with unique country-themed gardens that will transport you to other places around the world.
- Check out the weekly markets dotted through Hamilton, featuring local eats, entertainment, and more.
- Sample craft beers from Hamilton’s favourite brewery, Good George.
- Stroll or cycle around Waiwhakareke Natural Heritage Park to immerse yourself in the local flora and fauna.
- Wander through scenes from The Lord of the Rings with a trip out to Hobbiton, just an hour’s drive outside of the city.
- Spend a family day in the Hamilton Zoo and check out over 600 native and exotic animals with your kids.
Let your Hamilton Airport car hire take you to all these places and more!
Choosing the right Hamilton car hire for your trip
Find a wide range of options available for your Hamilton Airport car rental. Whether you’re cruising around the city or heading out to the beautiful surrounding forest parks, the right car hire is just a click away. Refer to these tips for selecting a suitable rental car.
- Choose a vehicle with unlimited mileage if you are exploring the wider Waikato region.
- Select the number of passengers in your car hire Hamilton to ensure you have adequate space. (Don’t forget about luggage!)
- If you have any questions about after-hours pick up or drop off, additional drivers, or have any special requirements, check the rental terms for details or contact the local depot for the most up-to-date information.
- Click on reviews to find out more about each rental cars Hamilton partner.
- Check out Budget car rental Hamilton if you need an all-wheel drive.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
How much does it cost to hire a car at Hamilton Airport?
The size of the car hire, the desired rental time/date of your trip, and the length of your rental are all factors that will influence the final price of your Hamilton car hire, as well as how soon you book. Compare multiple brands now using our website for up-to-the-minute prices. You may also call, email, or chat with our customer support team if you have further queries to get a more accurate rental estimate.
What is the cheapest car hire agency at Hamilton Airport?
While prices fluctuate due to demand and car hire suppliers often offer deals, Budget car rental Hamilton, and Thrifty car rental Hamilton Airport are typically low-cost options. You can also try the Mystery Brand option! Finding a cheap car rental at Hamilton Airport New Zealand is easy with our instant comparison search engine.
Which car rental suppliers are based in or around Hamilton Airport?
There are a handful of available car rental suppliers, but because Hamilton Airport is a smaller, regional airport, it’s best to book well in advance to ensure an available vehicle for your trip. Expect to find household names like Avis, Budget, and Hertz, plus a Mystery Brand option that offers budget car rentals. Hertz and Thrifty have depots in town as well as Bargain Rental Cars and they usually offer late model rental cars and free pick up service.
Which car hire companies in Hamilton have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
We understand that during the COVID pandemic, detailed cleaning between car rental users is very important. To make it less stressful during your booking process, we’ve added a feature to tick enhanced cleaning as an option as well as instant confirmation and contactless pickup to minimise any risk of coronavirus.
Can I collect a car from Hamilton Airport and return somewhere else?
Collecting a rental car from Hamilton Airport and returning it to another location is possible. For instance, you can return your car in NewPlymouth, Rotorua, or Tauranga. You can even drop off your vehicle in Gisborne. Check out our website and see available pick-up and drop-off locations. Please note that one way rentals usually have additional charges. Please note a surcharge may incur depending on the car hire brand.
How old do I need to be to rent a car from Hamilton Airport?
Drivers must be at least 21 years old to hire a car from Hamilton Airport. A young driver’s surcharge may incur for drivers between the ages of 21 to 24 years old. Bargain Rental Cars, located in Hamilton city, allows drivers as young as 18 years old. More details can be found under the rental terms under each listing.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental from Hamilton Airport?
This option depends on the car rental partner. Some will require a deposit for your booking while others may request a full payment. You may save your quote for a later day if you cannot pay at that time. However, if you are concerned with trip changes, free cancellation is typically available up to 72 hours before the rental date.
What happens if you don’t return a rental car on time?
If you are concerned with not making your rental car drop-off time, call ahead to the rental car depot to let them know. You may incur a full day extra cost or a partial charge. Save yourself and them the stress by making new arrangements as soon as possible.
Where is the nearest petrol station to refuel the car at Hamilton Airport?
The closest petrol station is located within a five-minute drive of Hamilton Airport. Stop by Waitomo Mystery Creek petrol station on Airport Road (open 24 hours), otherwise, fill up at one of the many petrol stations in Hamilton city centre. Most rental car suppliers require a full petrol tank upon drop off.
What is the most popular hire car in Hamilton Airport?
Currently, the compact size Toyota Corolla (or similar) is the most frequently booked car hire Hamilton Airport.