Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Explore the Bay of Plenty with a rental car from Tauranga Airport
Hiring a car is your key to exploring Tauranga and its picturesque surroundings in the Bay of Plenty. Whether you’re zipping around the city, heading to Mt Maunganui for a beachy getaway, or travelling around the whole region, a rental car will get you there at your own pace. It’s easy to get a great deal: simply compare rental cars at Tauranga airport with GoSee and get your adventure going.
What you need to know about your car rental Tauranga Airport
Once you’ve landed at Tauranga Airport, it’s easy to get to your rental car. As you make your way to the arrivals area, you will find the car rental company desks next to the baggage claim. Rental car companies based at the Tauranga Airport terminal include:
- Apex Car Rental Tauranga
- Thrifty Car Rental Tauranga
Driving tips for Tauranga
Keep an eye out for toll roads! Tauranga is home to two out of three toll roads in the whole of New Zealand. They are the Tauranga Eastern Link Toll Road and the Takitimu Drive Toll Road.
Toll roads in Tauranga
- The Tauranga Eastern Link Toll Road runs for 15km of State Highway 2 (SH2) between the Domain Road interchange, near Pāpāmoa, and the Paengaroa roundabout (SH2 and SH33 to Whakatāne and Rotorua). An alternative free route takes you through Te Puke on the Te Puke Highway.
- The Takitimu Drive Toll Road runs for 5km and bypasses Tauranga city centre. It takes traffic from State Highway 29 (SH29) to State Highway 2 (SH2) in the direction of the Port of Tauranga and Mt Maunganui. The alternative free routes are via Cameron Road or Cambridge/Moffat Roads.
- You don’t even have to get out of your car to pay, as your vehicle is recorded electronically. You can pay your toll online before or after your journey, or at some service stations. If you do use a toll road, make sure you remember to pay promptly, or you may face late fees.
- If you drive on one of these toll rolls, a toll will be charged to the vehicle and you are responsible for this. The amount you pay depends on the type of vehicle you’re driving but don’t worry—the prices are signposted as you approach each road.
Exploring Tauranga in your rental car
Tauranga boasts an awesome mix of metropolitan buzz and laid-back beachy vibes of New Zealand's North Island. Renting a car from Tauranga Airport means you’ll be able to see it all. Check out some of the highlights.
Waimarino Adventure Park
Just 10 minutes from central Tauranga and nestled on the banks of the Wairoa River, this park offers a fun day out for the whole family. It features overwater human catapults, pedal boats, rock climbing, trampoline, slides, swings, kayaks, ropes and so much more!
McLaren Falls Park is home to a whopping 190 hectares of parkland set alongside Lake McLaren. It’s just a ten-minute drive from Tauranga. While there are so many beautiful features of the park, one of the highlights is walking the waterfall track where you can see glow worms after dusk.
Mount Maunganui aka ‘’The Mount’’
Only fifteen minutes from Tauranga, ‘’The Mount’’ is one of New Zealand’s sweetest summer spots. The golden-sand beach is incredible, and the town centre is bustling with cafes, bars, and shops. To top it all off, there’s the mountain itself. Walking to the top is definitely a cardio challenge, but it’s well worth it for the panoramic views.
Experience a slice of rural New Zealand and make the half-hour drive from Tauranga to Te Puke. Check out the local kiwifruit orchards and take a classic ‘’Kiwi’’ selfie in front of the huge kiwifruit sculpture.
Choosing the best rental car for your trip to Tauranga
We can point you towards the perfect vehicle for your Tauranga travels.
- For budget rental options in Tauranga, try choosing a more compact vehicle such as an economy-sized hatchback or sedan.
- Want an extra special trip? Consider luxury car rental options for Tauranga such as premium SUVs.
- Remember to select a rental car option that suits the needs of your journey. Smaller cars are great for exploring the city, but if you want to explore the wider region, a larger model will provide more space, comfort, and safety features.
- If you wish to take advantage of the free pick up service, especially if you are downtown, you just need to contact the car rental company's location phone number listed in your reservation confirmation. Please read their free pick up service policies too for more details.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
How much is it to hire a car at Tauranga Airport?
The cost of hiring a car at Tauranga Airport depends on when you book as well as the kind of rental vehicle you choose. Our search tool can show you the best available deals at the time of booking. Try to make your reservation as early as you can to secure the best price.
Which car hire agencies are at Tauranga Airport?
Well-known car hire agencies including Avis, Budget, Hertz, and Thrifty operate out of Tauranga Airport.
What is the highest rated car rental brand in Tauranga?
When you search for a vehicle using our booking tool, you will be able to see the ratings of the various providers as you make your selection. Thrifty and Avis are a couple of our top-rated car rental partners at Tauranga Airport.
How old do I have to be to rent a car from Tauranga Airport?
The minimum age to book and drive a car hire Tauranga is 18 years old. Some deals for Tauranga rental cars have a surcharge for drivers under the age of 25 or above 65, so check the agency’s terms when you make your booking.
How far is downtown Tauranga from Tauranga Airport?
Tauranga Airport is approximately a ten-minute drive from downtown Tauranga.
What is the cheapest car hire agency at Tauranga Airport?
Typically, Thrifty and Budget offer some of the cheapest Tauranga Airport car rentals, along with brands which offer off airport location deals. However, using our search tool is a quick and easy way to compare all of the rental cars Tauranga Airport deals available for your travel dates, and obtain a more accurate rental estimate this way.
Can I rent a car in Tauranga and return it somewhere else?
Yes, many car rental companies offer one-way trips. Simply use our search and booking tool with your dates and desired pick up and drop-off locations to see what is available. Not all routes will be possible and some one-way itineraries for car rentals Tauranga may require an additional fee. Please don't hesitate to call our New Zealand phone number listed on this page if you need more assistance on this.
Do I have to pay for my rental car in advance?
Payment terms for Tauranga Airport car rentals vary depending on the provider. Some companies require full payment at the time of booking, while others do not require final payment until you pick up the vehicle. To confirm, look at the policy and payment details section as you make your selection of rental car Tauranga Airport.
What is the speed limit in Tauranga?
The default urban speed limit in Tauranga is 50 km/h, but keep your eyes peeled for signs where speed limits are lower, particularly in shared or pedestrian-heavy spaces. The default speed limit for open roads is 100 km/h but again, this can change, so watch out for variations.
Which car hire companies have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Most of the major Tauranga airport car rental suppliers have updated their health and safety policies due to Covid-19. These policies make sure vehicles are sufficiently clean and disinfected. You can also check the policies of your particular hire car company when you book Tauranga car rentals.