Why book a rental car with us?
24/7 customer support
Get a great deal on Whangarei car rental
Pick up a Whangarei car rental and make the most of your time in this subtropical city in Northland, New Zealand. Satisfy your urban desires with a vibrant arts scene, eclectic shopping, and waterfront dining, and fulfill your sense of adventure with nearby hiking trails, endless watersport opportunities, and active sightseeing. GoSee it all with a Whangarei car hire.
Explore our special offers
Picking up your car rental from Whangarei Airport
Whangarei District Airport is a small but modern facility with air conditioning, free WiFi and a cafe. You’ll find the Whangarei car rental agencies in the arrivals area. Collect your keys and follow the clearly marked signs to the car rental lot, located to the left when departing the terminal.
Getting around Whangarei in your airport car hire
Keep in mind the following driving tips about the area to help you on your way.
- The drive to Whangarei is just 11 minutes from the airport via Riverside Drive.
- Whangarei is a growing city. Slow down around roadworks, and expect some minor delays.
- The city centre offers a range of on-street parking and Pay and Display options, with varying fees that can be paid by coins or mPark using your smartphone.
- Be aware that Whangarei's iconic harbour bridge, Te Matau ā Pohe, is opened at 12 noon every day.
- Traffic is relatively manageable compared to other urban centres, but there is congestion at peak hours in the morning and late afternoon.
Hit the highlights in your Whangarei car hire
Surfing, scuba diving, boat cruising, kitesurfing, kiteboarding, kayaking, wakeboarding, fishing, stand-up paddleboarding, and much more are all on offer at the sun-baked beaches of the region.
A fantastic curtain waterfall splashing off 26-metre-high basalt cliffs awaits you at the Hatea River, viewable from a lookout point just off the road, and base accessible by a stunning 30-minute wander through glorious bushland.
Head underground and find three caverns sporting thousands of shining glow worms and one of which even has stalactites hanging from the ceiling.
Take your Whangarei rental car 3.5 hours north to the lighthouse at the very top tip of the island, where you can see the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean collide in a swirl of bright blue and green waters. This spot holds significant spiritual meaning in Maori culture, so be sure to read the many plaques in informative signs dotted about the place.
Top tips for Whangarei Airport car rental
- The supply of car rentals in Whangarei can be limited during peak holiday periods, so secure your car hire deal well in advance. Summer is especially busy.
- Winding roads are typical in the coastal areas just outside of Whangarei city. Choose a vehicle that is both safety conscious and higher off the ground for the comfort of you and your passengers.
- Special occasion? Luxury car hire in Whangarei is available. Select this option in the search box, or give us a call to discuss vehicle preferences.
What our customers say
Vehicle rental prices fluctuate based on the time of year and time of booking. For the most accurate rates for car hire in Whangarei, simply type in your travel dates and age into the search box. This will draw up deals across top international and local brands for you to compare.
All of the best Whangarei Airport car hire brands can be found on our website, including Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, Mystery Brand, and Avis. Simply enter your travel dates to see and compare a list of the available Northland car rentals in Whangarei.
The highest-rated brand in Whangarei changes frequently, but Hertz and Thrifty car rental Whangarei are consistently on top. Use our search tool to compare offerings, and visit our customer reviews page to see how others have rated their experience.
The minimum age to rent a car in Whangarei is 18, but most car hire companies only accept drivers aged 21 and over. All agencies typically charge an additional fee for drivers under the age of 25.
Whangarei city is just over 8 kilometres from Whangarei Airport—an 11-minute drive in your Whangarei car hire.
Yes, typically you can book a Whangarei car hire now and pay later when you pick up your vehicle. GoSee offers instant confirmation and free cancellation on most rentals.
Yes. It is possible to hire one-way rental cars from Whangarei Airport to another destination, an option that may draw an additional fee. Please note, there may be occasional restrictions when travelling—particularly during COVID-19 outbreaks.
The most popular car rental in Whangarei changes frequently, but Hertz is consistently a customer favourite with its great selection of Toyota, Holden, and Mitsubishi models.
The speed limits in Whangarei vary but are generally 50km/h in the CBD, 40km/h in school zones, and 100km/h on highways. When in doubt, slow down.
Most of the major brands of car hire in Whangarei have updated their health and safety protocols due to COVID-19 to make sure vehicles are clean and disinfected. These rental companies include Hertz, Avis, and Thrifty Car Rental Whangarei.