Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Continue adventuring with a car rental from Wellington Ferry Terminal
Wellington is one of New Zealand’s most entertaining cities and boasts local history, vibrant nightlife, and majestic nature. It is also the launching point for many travelers crossing over to the South Island, or the beginning of their North Island adventures. With a rental car from GoSee, you can enjoy all that Wellington has to offer, and comfortably continue your journey through the North or South Island.
Car hire Wellington Ferry Terminal: What you need to know
The Wellington interislander ferry terminal is where travelers catch the ferry to cross over to the South Island of New Zealand. The ferry ride starting at Wellington Harbour heads out to Cook Strait, and goes all the way up to Marlborough Sounds in Picton. This means that the terminal is also your entry point to the North Island if you are catching the interislander ferry from Picton in the South Island.
Wellington Ferry Terminal is conveniently located a few kilometres north of Wellington’s city centre, and is a 25-minute drive away from Wellington Airport International terminal. It offers a range of the best car hire companies including Hertz, Thrifty, Budget, Dollar, and Keddy.
Whether you are traveling north or south, having a hire car will make your journey much easier when continuing your adventure on either island.
Guide to driving in Wellington, New Zealand
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up Wellington Ferry Terminal car rental.
- Always drive on the left side of the road.
- When turning right, give way to vehicles turning left from the opposite direction.
- Pay attention to road signs that indicate the speed limit (usually 50km in suburban and central areas, and either 80km or 100km on highways).
- Use your indicator lights for 3 seconds before and after merging onto another lane.
Things to see and do with your hire car in Wellington
As New Zealand’s capital city, Wellington is well-known around the country for its lively music and art culture, museums, and nature. While some of its attractions can be accessed through public transport like through the Wellington Cable Car, you will want a rental car to experience the city in complete freedom, and get to your next destination comfortably.
- Touch & Feel History at Te Papa - Te Papa is New Zealand’s national museum and boasts interactive and hands-on exhibitions that share insights into New Zealand’s rich history. Look forward to learning about local nature and wildlife, Māori culture, modern history, and see some of the most celebrated art throughout the country all under one roof.
- Day Trips and Nightlife on Cuba Street - Whether you venture through it during the day or after the sun goes down, Cuba Street will keep you entertained for hours on end. It is known as the Bohemian centre of Wellington, and will keep you smiling and satisfied with hundreds of cafés, bars featuring live music, record stores, op-shops, art galleries, and boutique fashion stores.
- Discover Wildlife at the Wellington Zoo - The perfect daytime activity for any animal lover, Wellington Zoo is New Zealand's first and oldest Zoo, and has been caring for animals since 1906. It is home to many rare and endangered local and international animals like Australian Kangaroos, African Caracals, Himalayan Monals, and the only bears in New Zealand!
- Bird Watch in Zealandia Te Māra a Tāne - Hop in your rental car and make your way to this eco-sanctuary, where over 225 hectares of protected forest flourishes with hundreds of rare native birds, and breathtaking local fauna. It’s only a few minutes from Wellington’s city centre, and is one of the area's most prized conservation projects and attractions.
- Get a Political Buzz in The Beehive - Nick-named for its architectural resemblance to a bee’s woven home, The Beehive is New Zealand’s Parliament Building. It is filled with political history and offers free guided tours to anyone who wants a deeper insight into local politics. You can also sit in the public galleries and watch as members of parliament discuss issues, vote on legislation, and answer questions in the debating chamber.
- See World Famous Movie Effects in the Wētā Cave - Explore an exhilarating museum packed with creativity, physical effects, and movie magic in the home of the world-famous Weta Studios. See collections of unforgettable props and costumes from some of the world’s biggest blockbuster movies and TV shows, including the Lord of the Rings and movies from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The shooting location of Mount Victoria Lookout also attracts movie enthusiasts around the world.
Top tips for rental cars Wellington
Continuing your journey through the North Island? A car hire from the Wellington Terminal Ferry will make your trip seamless. Explore the vast beauty of the North Island’s west coast with a car rental from Palmerston North or even further north with a hire car from Whanganui.
If you’re embarking on a South Island adventure, you can also find the best and cheapest rental cars in Picton for easy, breezy traveling. Or get to the most remote and beautiful destinations in Blenheim with a rental vehicle.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
What documents do I need to present when I pick up my vehicle?
At the very least, you need to have your full driver’s license (or international driver’s license if necessary) booking voucher, and credit card with enough funds to cover the excess in order to pick up your vehicle. Any other documentation you need will be specified on your booking voucher.
Do I need to return the car with a full tank of fuel?
Most of the car rental Wellington companies have a Full to Full policy on their rentals, but sometimes they have other options available. You can find this out when browsing auto rental options online or in-store.
What types of rental cars and vehicles can I rent?
Car companies in the Wellington Ferry Terminal offer a full range of cars and vehicles, including smaller and more cost-efficient economy cars and larger vehicles like SUVs, and minivans.
What is included in the rental?
A full tank of gas is included in every rental car. You can find out whether this needs to be refilled on return, and what insurance and covers are included with your car hire in the Terms and Conditions of a selected vehicle.
How much does it cost to hire a car at Wellington Ferry Terminal?
Wellington Ferry Terminal car rental prices vary according to season and vehicle availability, but usually, you can expect to pay between $30 per day for a compact car or economy model and around $230 per day for some people carriers and SUVs.
What is the highest-rated rental car at Wellington Ferry Terminal?
Because it is the midway point for travel between New Zealand’s North and South Island, economy models are the most popular choice of rental vehicles for people booking Wellington Ferry Terminal car hire offers, as it is the most cost-effective option when boarding the ferries. Larger groups of travels may want to consider SUV’s or other large vehicles to accommodate for all the extra luggage, or for more extravagant adventure destinations.
Is there a minimum rental period?
Minimum rental periods vary between rental companies, but generally there is a minimum rental period of one full day.
Can I return my vehicle outside of your operating hours?
Car rental companies generally require you to return your vehicle during operating / business hours. However, you may talk to our staff for further assistance on this, or verify this directly with the supplier while you are at the rental counter claiming your car keys.
How old do I have to be in order to rent a car?
The minimum age for hiring a car in Wellington is 21. However, some rental car suppliers may have additional restrictions or costs for those aged under 25.