Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
GoSee the sights with a Sydney Airport car hire
When you pick up your Sydney Airport car hire, you’ll be joining crowds of visitors who flock to Australia’s largest city for a taste of the Land Down Under. Lock in your Sydney car rental early to get the best deal possible, and then get ready for beautiful beaches, world-class attractions, and cosmopolitan nightlife.
Explore our special offers
Car hire Sydney: Pick up locations
Sydney International Airport is the busiest in Australia, connecting with more than 90 destinations worldwide and serving more than 35 million passengers (more than the population of Australia) every single year. Upon landing, you’ll either collect your car hire from the Arrivals Hall area on the Ground Floor, or hop on a shuttle to an offsite car rental location. See the map below for depot locations in and around Sydney Airport.
What you need to know about Sydney Airport car hire
Getting around Sydney in your airport car hire
Sydney International Airport is just 12 kilometres south of the city centre, so not only will you enjoy a stunning view over the harbour as you land and take off, it’s a quick and easy trip into town as well.
Here's some more information for driving around Sydney:
- The M1 tolled route between Sydney Airport and the city centre is practically a straight line that runs from north to south and will take just over 20 minutes in normal traffic conditions. The other option is to drive via O’Riordan Street, which is free and runs almost parallel to the M1, but often has congestion at certain points so will take longer.
- A network of motorways, known as the Sydney Orbital Network, circumnavigates the city. These motorways such as the Eastern Distributor, the Westlink M7, and Lane Cove Tunnel, often include tolls. Toll roads are cashless, so there’s no need to carry change with you, but you will need to ensure your Sydney car rental has an electronic tag. Talk to the staff at your car hire depot to sort out the details.
- Parking is a bit hard to come by in this busy metropolis. There are two city-operated parking buildings in the city, along with plenty of metered options and private parks, but you’ll have to work fast. Note that meters accept payment by coin, credit card, and mobile phone.
- Sydney traffic levels are what you’d expect from a large, bustling city. Avoid peak driving hours if you can, as this will add stress and take more time.
Hit the highlights in your Sydney Airport rental car
Sydney is incredibly diverse in culture and population and is frequently ranked as one of the best places to live in the world. GoSee what all the fuss is about!
Sydney Harbour Bridge & Sydney Opera House
The Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge are a stunning spectacle, sitting mightily on the world’s largest natural harbour, blending iconic architecture with organic beauty.
Hit the waves and soak up the atmosphere at this trendy location. It’s a hive of activity, so you can either get sporty with the locals, sip on a coffee at a local cafe, or simply pull up a beach towel and watch it all happen.
Get amongst it as you float along between fantastic eateries, entertainment venues, and buzzy bars in this vibrant hotspot in central Sydney.
The Blue Mountains
Known for the blue hue that blankets the trees of this ruggedly beautiful section of New South Wales, the Blue Mountains offer challenging hikes, waterfall views, and animal encounters. The drive will take a couple of hours in your Sydney Airport car rental.
Hunter Valley wine tours
If you’re keen to try the local vintage, head north to this fabulous section of delicious drop. Just make sure to nominate a designated driver, or park the car hire and take a fabulous tour.
Whether you head north or south from Sydney along the coast, you are going to run into dozens of charming towns with stunning beaches. Why not stop at all of them?
Choosing the ideal Sydney Airport car rental
Select a rental car for your trip to Sydney with these tips in mind.
- A city of 5 million means there will be traffic congestion and competition for parking. A compact or economy-size vehicle will best suit a city-focused excursion and the unavoidable narrow roads and small parking spaces.
- A coastal tour or countryside adventure will call for something bigger to carry additional luggage, beach gear, and any sporting equipment. Opt for a mid-size, large, or SUV model with more space, safety features, and a bigger boot.
- Not sure where you’re going or what you’re doing yet? Spend a couple of days exploring the city before picking up a Sydney car rental. There are plenty of depots available in the city and it’ll give you a chance to make a plan.
If you’re the one who wants to try recreational vehicles in exploring more of Australia, consider booking a campervan rental in Brisbane or in other cities to kick off your adventure. GoSee has got you covered!
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Car hire Sydney Airport: Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to hire a car at Sydney Airport?
Looking for cheap car hire? Vehicle rental prices fluctuate based on the time of year and time of booking. For the most accurate rates, simply type your desired destination and dates into the search box, and compare deals across at least a dozen brands.
What is the cheapest car hire company at Sydney Airport?
The cheapest car rental brand at Sydney International Airport is often Ace Rental Car. Right after you have collected your keys, you will be directed to the ground floor of the multi-storey car park where you can get your vehicle.
However, it is best to check up-to-date pricing using our instant comparison search engine.
Which car rental suppliers are based in or around Sydney Airport?
There is a wide range of hire rental depots at or nearby Sydney International Airport, including Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Budget, East Coast Car Rentals, Enterprise, Apex, Alamo, Apollo, Ace, Keddy, Jucy, National, No Birds Car Rental Sydney Airport, and others.
Which car hire companies in Sydney have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Most of the major brands of car hire in Sydney have updated their health and safety protocols due to COVID-19 to make sure vehicles are clean and disinfected. These rental companies include Hertz, Europcar Sydney Airport, and Thrifty Car Rental.
Can I collect a car from Sydney Airport and return somewhere else?
Yes. It is possible to hire one-way rental cars from Sydney Airport to another destination, usually incurring an additional fee. You can start your trip at Sydney Airport and drop off your vehicle in Melbourne, Brisbane, or Gold Coast. Please note, there may be occasional restrictions when crossing state lines—particularly during COVID-19 outbreaks.
Is it cheaper to rent a car at the airport or off site?
It is cheaper to rent a Sydney car hire off-site. As the cost of airport retail space is at a premium, companies who have cheaper retail space a short distance away from the airport are able to rent a car to you at a lower price.
How far is Sydney airport from the city?
Sydney is just 20 minutes away from Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport, depending on traffic.
Can I return my vehicle after hours?
Individual depots have different policies on after-hours returns. Select your desired return time on the search bar to view the available options under each listing. Often busier airports and retail locations will have later office hours than rural outposts. Check with the local branch if you are unsure of the policy.
Do I need to fill up the tank before returning my rental car?
If you want to avoid potential extra charges, then yes, do not forget to top up your fuel before returning your hire car. There are several petrol stations near Sydney International Airport. The nearest fuel station is BP petrol station, located at the corner of General Holmes Drive and Butler Road, 5 kilometres from the International Terminal.
What is the speed limit in Sydney?
Speed limits range from 30-60km/h in mixed-use urban areas and start to rise as you get further from the centre and city limits. Look up the state speed limit rules for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Always follow the recommended speed limits when driving your Sydney Airport car rentals.
Is domestic and international airport same in Sydney?
The domestic and international terminal buildings of Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport are located separately. The T1 or Terminal 1 building is dedicated for International flights, while the Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 buildings (also termed T2 / T3) are for Sydney domestic flights. There are car hire desks that are available to assist you with your rental vehicle needs.
What cars can I choose to rent from Sydney Airport?
There are lots of variety of car rental Sydney International Airport vehicles you can choose from. You may check out various types including economy (Hyundai Accent or similar), intermediate (Toyota Corolla or similar), SUV (Mitsubishi Outlander or similar), or large vehicles (Toyota Camry Sedan or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or similar).