One of the world’s largest motorhome rental agencies
Why book a campervan with us?
Quick and easy to find the right vehicle for you
Expert motorhomes concierge team
Explore New Zealand in a Spaceships campervan
Spaceships is one of the most popular campervan rental companies in New Zealand. You’ll see plenty of these eye-catching orange vehicles on the roads around the country, so be sure to give other travellers a wave to say hello.
Why rent a campervan with Spaceships New Zealand?
Spaceships claims that all of their vehicles drive like a good car, but sleep like a campervan. This is important for New Zealand’s many small and windy roads, and even more important for a good night’s rest. Here are a few more of the perks of renting a campervan with Spaceships.
- Unlimited kilometres
- Low minimum rental age (18 years)
- Standard insurance included in the rental rate
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- No hidden costs
- Free additional drivers
- Free after-hours service (pick-up or drop-off whenever it suits you)
- Many amenities included, such as sleeping and cooking gear
- Travel app to help you find things to do, discounts, public toilets, and more
The New Zealand Spaceships campervan fleet
To keep it simple, Spaceships offer four vehicle options for your campervan tour of New Zealand. Take a look to see which one suits you best.
- Budget (Rocket): Spaceships thinks this is probably the cheapest campervan you’ll find in the country. It sleeps two, and comes with a chilly bin and gas cooker for basic meals on the road.
- Standard (Beta): The Standard campervan sleeps two and is quite similar to the Rocket, but comes with a fridge/freezer and a battery system on top of the gas cooker and chilly bin set up.
- Premium (Beta 2S): Enjoy more space in this two-berth campervan, as well as USB charging ports, basic kitchen amenities, and importantly, a discreet look rather than the bright orange Spaceships paint job.
- Luxury (Dream Sleeper Mini): A luxurious campervan with more space, a larger fridge, and a more elegant design. It sleeps two and comes with a fully equipped kitchen, as well as storage, USB ports, and a discreet paint job.
Spaceships pick-up locations around New Zealand
Spaceships have depots for pick ups and drop offs in Auckland and Christchurch. As these centres are where you’ll most likely land when you arrive, it is easy to start a road trip from either location. Remember that all depots are available for free after-hours pick ups and drop offs should you need it.
- This is the country’s largest city and the perfect place to start any campervan road trip around New Zealand, or even just on the North Island. For a shorter trip, try the Auckland to Rotorua round-trip itinerary and see top attractions such as Hobbiton and the Waitomo glow worm caves. To see as much of New Zealand as possible, book a one-way rental to drive from Auckland to Queenstown.
- On the east coast of the South Island, Christchurch is known as the “Garden City”. After exploring the urban centre, you can head north, south, west, or even east onto Banks Peninsula - every direction is as beautiful and surprising as the last. A popular route runs from Christchurch to Queenstown, taking you along the West Coast via glaciers and penguin colonies, to the adventure capital of New Zealand.
Is it better to hire a car or campervan with Spaceships?
Hiring either a car or campervan with Spaceships NZ is a great way to see the country. Spaceships mainly caters to backpackers and comes with bedding, linen, kitchen kit and other inclusions.
Can I drive on any roads with Spaceships vehicle?
You can drive on the majority of roads. However, there are some roads that you are not allowed to drive on, for example, Skippers Canyon Road near Queenstown, Ball Hutt Road near Mt Cook, and 90 Mile Beach in Northland.