One of the world’s largest motorhome rental agencies
Why book a campervan with us?
Quick and easy to find the right vehicle for you
Expert motorhomes concierge team
Find great deals with Mad Campers New Zealand
Mad Campers is one of the freshest campervan companies in New Zealand. Founded in 2017 by three Kiwi blokes, it began with the idea of travellers going off and having adventures all over the country. To this end, they have created a fleet of extremely functional campervans that will take you from Cape Reinga down to Bluff and back again in comfort.
Why hire a campervan from Mad Campers New Zealand?
As well as being founded by New Zealanders who are simply mad about camping, Mad Campers offers a variety of perks when you rent with them.
- Certified self-contained campervans
- Complimentary airport shuttle service to the pick-up depot
- Premium finish on all campers
- In-house mechanic centre to ensure all campers are in good working order
- A driver training session so you’re ready to drive on the left side of the road and take on New Zealand’s unique driving conditions
- 24/7 roadside assistance with the AA
- Low minimum driver age at 18 years
- Campers equipped with many extras not included with other companies, such as security lockboxes, alarms, and Bluetooth radio
- Discounted ferry crossings (and Mad Campers will book it for you)
- Discounts at multiple adventure tourism attractions around the country
- Unlimited kilometres
- No hidden fees or costs
- The opportunity to complete nine NZ ‘challenges’ (such as eating fish and chips on a beach) and post photos to Instagram for a five per cent discount on your rental
- Additional items available at a small extra cost (such as solar showers and camping tables)
The Mad Campers New Zealand fleet
Mad Campers have just two campervan models in their fleet, but true to their promise to create functional campers for travellers, one is already the first of its kind in the country.
- MAD 1: New Zealand’s first single-berth campervan. The smaller size makes it cheaper, easier to drive, and more efficient, which is ideal for the many solo travellers who explore the country alone. It is also fitted with a functional kitchenette with a fridge, sink, two-burner gas cooker, and pots and pans, as well as an extendable hose tap to do your dishes after dinner. Plus, this camper has a grey water tank and chemical toilet making it fully self-contained.
- MAD 2: Built for two travellers, the MAD 2 is packed with a kitchenette, a second battery so you can run electronics overnight, side and rear entry for more convenience, a lockbox, an alarm, and keyless entry. It also has a chemical toilet and grey water tank, so you don’t have to worry about finding a campsite every night.
Mad Campers New Zealand pick up locations
Mad Campers offer pick up locations in the two major New Zealand hubs, Auckland and Christchurch. If you’re arriving in the country by plane, it’s likely you’ll land in one of these cities to begin your NZ motorhome rental adventure.
- Auckland: Auckland is New Zealand’s big city, so it’s constantly abuzz with events and activities. From here, you can drive north to the very tip of the North Island to see gigantic sand dunes and two oceans meeting at Cape Reinga, or you can drive south to explore the rest of the island, or continue south down to Christchurch and beyond.
- Christchurch: Christchurch is in the middle of the South Island on the east coast, so you can head in any direction to discover incredible sights. Many of the Lord of the Rings scenes were filmed around this island, and it’s no more than a day’s drive to almost any destination or attraction from Christchurch.
What's special about Mad Campers?
What is the minimum age to hire with Mad campers?
You can hire with mad campers if you are 18+.