Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
GoSee the sights with an LAX car rental
LA is just one of those cities where you need a car to make the most of your visit. Fortunately, it’s easy to pick up your Los Angeles airport car rental when you land and explore the City of Angels. Cruise down Rodeo Drive, go star-spotting in Hollywood and savour the sunny beach spots like Santa Monica, all in your GoSee LAX car rental.
Explore our special offers
Picking up your Los Angeles Airport car rental
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is LA’s primary airport and it shows! There are 9 passenger terminals, which are connected by shuttles to transport depots. When you book your car rental, it will have some instructions for how to collect your vehicle upon arrival. However, if you’re unsure, you can call your LAX rental car company from one of the free-call phones in your terminal’s arrival zone when you land. A shuttle will collect you from the area with a purple sign marked ‘Rental Car Shuttles’ to take you to your vehicle.
Getting around Los Angeles in your airport car rental
Los Angeles is known for its traffic, so take heed of these tips before you head out in your LAX rental car.
- Los Angeles International Airport is located about 26 kilometres from downtown Los Angeles. LA is a big city and largely follows a grid layout with roads running north to south and east to west.
- Like in most big cities, avoid driving during peak-transit times as LA is infamous for its rush hour gridlocks. Use an app or rent a GPS so you can plan your route and avoid high traffic areas.
- You will quickly get used to driving on LA’s freeway system. Take note that on many freeways, the lane on the far left is a ‘’carpool’’ lane. These lanes are reserved for vehicles with two or more occupants (though some require three, so pay attention to the numbers marked at the entrance) and are indicated by a diamond painted on the lane.
- Take note of the local road rules. Using your phone while driving without a hands-free device is illegal, as is smoking in a car with minors. You can get hefty fines for littering. Keep your eyes peeled for motorcycle drivers, who are permitted to ride between lanes.
Soak in the sights with your LAX car rental
You can’t visit LA without ticking Hollywood off the list. Stroll the iconic Hollywood Walk of Fame and take photos with the stars of your favourite celebrities, or place your hands in their handprints. Check out the beautiful TCL Chinese Theatre and the Dolby Theatre where the Oscars are held.
View the incredible collection of artwork housed at the Getty Center. This amazing gallery is nestled in the Santa Monica mountains and provides incredible views of the city from its luscious gardens.
A visit to LA simply isn’t complete without a trip to ‘the happiest place on Earth!’ Disneyland is located in Anaheim, a little more than 50 kilometres from LAX, so it’s a great place to drive to in your LAX airport car rental.
Another one of LA’s most iconic scenic spots is Griffith Park and Observatory. It has an amazing view of the Hollywood sign, and the surrounding rugged parklands are even home to coyotes and a mountain lion!
Top tips for Los Angeles car rentals
- If you plan to hit all the top spots for sightseeing in Los Angeles, you will be spending quite a bit of time in your vehicle, so make sure you choose a comfortable rental vehicle big enough to accommodate your needs.
- The west coast of the USA is breathtaking and Los Angeles Airport LAX is a great starting point for exploring it. Consider a road trip to some coastal city gems like San Francisco or San Diego in your rental car. A car hire trip in San Jose is also fantastic. Check out the picturesque rolling hills in this northern California’s largest city.
- The cheapest way to rent a car in Los Angeles is by comparing all the deals here in one place. You’ll get the best deal by booking early, so lock in a great price as soon as your travel dates are finalized.
- If you want your LA trip to channel the local lifestyles of the rich and the famous, consider a luxury car rental from LAX.
- Contactless car rental is available in Los Angeles—select this option when browsing our wide selection of LAX rental cars.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Car Rental LAX Airport: Frequently asked questions
What car rental companies are at LAX?
As LAX is such a large airport, there are many provider options at the rental counter. Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Fox, Hertz, National Car Rental, Payless and Thrifty all operate LAX airport car rentals.
What is the cheapest car rental company at Los Angeles Airport?
Our booking tool will present you with the cheapest car rental company for your desired travel dates, no need to wait for a discount code! Depending on availability and demand, prices can change by the minute, so check out today’s offers and book as soon as possible to secure the best deal.
What car types can I rent in Los Angeles?
There are so many different varieties of LAX car rentals available. If you just need a small car to zip around the city, you might want to select something like an economy sedan. If you’re after a bit more size and comfort, an intermediate vehicle—or even an SUV—might be the perfect car hire for you. To ride in extra style and flair, check out the range of luxury vehicles and sports cars on offer.
How old do I have to be to rent a car at LAX?
Age requirements for LAX car rentals vary between the ages of 18, 20, 21 or 25 upwards, depending on the brand’s booking policy. Our booking form requires your age when you make your search so that you will only be presented with the options available to you. Some rental car companies may charge an additional fee for drivers under 25.
Can I rent a car for a month or longer in Los Angeles?
Long term car rentals are available at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Simply use our website to see what’s available for your desired travel dates to compare prices and car models. Certain brands may offer long term specials from time to time. Plan ahead to lock in a great rate.
Who can drive rental cars from Los Angeles airport?
The requirements to drive a rental car in LA, are:
- valid driver's license, valid for the past three consecutive years at a minimum
- 21 years old is the youngest age of driver
- driver must own a credit card in his/ her name, to which payment and deposit are due
- for foreigners or US non-residents - absence of US driver's license necessitates that the home country driver's license must be brought at all times along with an international driver's permit.
Important things to remember:
- there is a young drivers fee charged for drivers aged 21 to 24 years old
- temporary driver's licenses will not be allowed
- renter must also qualify as driver
- except during promos or as clearly stated, there's an extra fee for each additional authorized driver
- only permitted additional driver, including the renter, must drive the rental car
- additional authorized drivers must also qualify for the driver's license requirements
- the requirements are in force during the entire rental period, from the time of pick up from the car rental center, up to the time when the vehicle is brought back to the car rental return location.
Is it possible to hire one-way at Los Angeles Airport?
Many major Los Angeles Airport car rental companies offer one-way car hire, whether it’s to another airport like Hollywood Burbank or John Wayne, or clear across the country. To see what’s available, use our booking tool and select your desired pick-up and drop-off locations and dates. Lock in your booking when you find a great price to ensure you get the best deal.
What is included in the rental rate?
What’s included in the rental rate for your LAX car hire varies with each partner provider. When you are making your selection and booking, ensure you read all the terms and conditions to see what is and isn’t included.
Extras like unlimited mileage and insurance may be included in the base rate, or may need to be added as extras, so select carefully when you make your booking.
Having good insurance on your rental vehicle is important, so make sure you are aware of the T&Cs and what you are covered for when you book.
Are there car rentals with unlimited mileage?
Most LA car rental companies offer unlimited mileage. You can check if this applies to you on the listing when you make your booking. If unlimited mileage is not offered, you will be able to see what rates apply for extra miles.
What is the speed limit in Los Angeles?
Speed limits vary around Los Angeles so always check the local signage, which refers to speed in miles per hour (mph). Common speed limits include 65 mph on multi-lane freeways and 35 mph for city streets. In residential areas or around schools, the limit can drop to 25 mph. Keep your eyes peeled for speed signs to ensure you are driving at a safe speed. When in doubt, slow down.