Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
GoSee London with a Heathrow car hire
London’s calling! Pick up a car rental at Heathrow Airport and discover a multicultural city full to the brim of fascinating history, endless attractions, and beautiful inner-city green spaces. Say hi to Big Ben, skip across the London Bridge, and catch the iconic view from the London Eye Ferris wheel. The shopping opportunities, cultural institutions, and entertainment options in England’s capital offer a next-level travel experience not to be missed. Lock in a car rental deal from Heathrow Airport and get planning your trip to Jolly Ol’ London, today.
Picking up car rental at Heathrow Airport
London Heathrow Airport is one of the busiest airports in the world in terms of international flights and passenger traffic. Its four terminals (T2, T3, T4, T5) are well marked and well equipped with multiple shops, cafes, restaurants and lounges, as well as duty-free shops, high-end boutiques and bookstores. You can also find additional services such as hair and beauty salons, shoeshines, and health clinics. Access free WiFi or use the free computer desks available at all terminals.
Rental car reception kiosks are located in the arrivals area of all Heathrow terminals (Terminal 2, Terminal 3, Terminal 4, and Terminal 5). Shuttle trains are provided to transfer between airport terminals.
Finding your way around with a Heathrow car hire
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your Heathrow Airport car rental.
- London Heathrow Airport is located 16 miles (30 minutes) west of London’s CBD. Follow the signs for the M25 from the airport, and take the motorway north. Join the M4 and follow until you reach Chiswick and then exit onto Great West Road. Links to the M4 and M25 allow straightforward access to some parts of England and other London airports such as London Gatwick Airport and London Luton Airport.
- Be aware of the congestion charge should you be driving in downtown London between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. View the charge zone here.
- Mobile phones are illegal to use when driving your rental car in the UK. If you are relying on a navigational device, make sure it is firmly mounted and plan your route before setting off. Don’t forget to check local weather conditions and road closures.
- Narrow, one-way streets are common, so you should always make sure of the direction before turning onto a road. The traffic light sequence in England goes: red - yellow - green - yellow - red. At roundabouts, give way to your right. Drivers will often flash their lights if they are letting you into traffic.
- Utilise parking spaces near tube stations to transport into the heart of the city. Traffic conditions can be overwhelming, plus parking is very restrictive during work hours Monday to Saturday. Use online booking sites to locate parking stations before getting in your car rental Heathrow Airport - it’ll save you money and time.
- Children must use a car seat until the age of 12 or be at least 3.5ft tall.
Car hire Heathrow Airport: Things to see and do
A Royal Tour
Try to time your visit to Buckingham Palace just right to catch a Changing of the Guard. Then make your way to the incredible Westminster Abbey. You can also visit great historic places like Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace, which are just a short drive in your Heathrow car rental.
London has so many museums to explore, it’s tough to choose! If you’re not sure where to start, head your car rental Heathrow to V&A, the British Museum, and the Natural History Museum.
Shop ‘til your drop
From the high-end boutiques of Bond Street to the eclectic bargains at Camden Market, there is something for everyone in London. Don’t leave without buying something fabulous.
After an incredible dinner at one of London’s famous fine dining restaurants like Restaurant Gordon Ramsey, catch a show in the West End or learn about Shakespeare’s past at the Globe Theatre.
Catch your breath
Relax in Hyde Park, Kew Gardens, or Hampstead Heath for a day outdoors.
Top tips for car hire at Heathrow Airport
- If you have a dream of zipping around London in a Mini, you’re in luck. These cute cars are indeed available to rent—but stock is limited! Book well in advance to secure yours.
- If you require an automatic rental vehicle, ensure you filter your search results to exclude manual vehicles, as many car hire Heathrow vehicles have manual transmission.
- If you will be sticking around the city for most of your trip, opt for a smaller vehicle to make driving a bit easier. Narrow roads and small parking spaces are the norm in London.
What our customers say
How much does it cost to rent a car from London Heathrow Airport (LHR)?
To get a quick and current estimate for car hire Heathrow Airport, type in your dates of travel using the search tool on this page and view and compare multiple Heathrow car hire offerings in one place.
Where do I pick up my car hire at London Heathrow Airport (LHR)?
Hire car reception kiosks are located in every arrivals hall of each terminal at London Heathrow Airport. Check the details on your booking confirmation, and then simply follow the well-marked signs to find the way to your chosen car rental company.
What tips are there for hiring a car at Heathrow Airport?
Plan ahead to secure a cheap car hire deal for your London holiday. If you prefer an automatic transmission, make sure the rental cars Heathrow company can provide this before booking. If you have any special requests for your car hire booking like a car seat, GPS, or another requirement, make sure you give your rental provider plenty of notice. Choose something you will be comfortable driving, and double-check the pick up location and other details before booking.
What is the cheapest car hire company at London Heathrow Airport (LHR)?
The cheapest car hire company at London Heathrow Airport varies on any given day, but you can usually expect low rates from Easirent, Keddy, and SurPrice.
Which car rental companies are at Heathrow Airport?
There are several car rental companies at London Heathrow Airport, including Ace, Alamo, Avis Car Hire, Budget Car Hire Heathrow, Easirent, Enterprise, Europcar Heathrow, Green Motion, Hertz, Keddy, National, and SurPrice. Please proceed to their respective car rental desks so you can collect your keys, then head to the vehicle car park at the Northern Perimeter Road.
How old do I have to be to book rental cars from Heathrow (LHR)?
Drivers aged 25 and older get the best selection of cars for hire at London Heathrow. Drivers aged 21 - 24 have access to fewer rental companies, and/or may be required to pay young driver surcharges.
Which car hire companies in London Heathrow have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Each and every airport car hire Heathrow company has aligned their practices to meet the health and cleanliness standards imposed by the UK government. As an extra precaution, renters may also select the ‘Enhanced Cleaning’ option when filtering car hire search results.
Is it possible to book one way from London Heathrow Airport (LHR)?
Yes, it is possible to book one-way hire car from London Heathrow. For instance, you can begin your trip in Heathrow and drop off your rental vehicle in Edinburgh, Bristol, or other car hire locations in the UK. Simply type your dates and destination into the search function to view available vehicle hire options and costs. One-way rentals may incur an additional fee. Always read your rental agreement so you will know the terms and conditions regarding these.
What is the best type of car to rent in London?
London Heathrow offers a great selection of rental vehicles from Mini to Luxury. Rent whatever you feel the most comfortable driving. Many travellers opt for a compact or economy hire car to navigate the narrow streets and tight parking spaces.
What do I need to bring when I collect my car rental?
When collecting your Heathrow Airport car rental, bring your valid and full driving licence, the second form of identification, and a credit card. If your driving licence is in a language other than English, you may also require an International Drivers Permit.