Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Book an IOM car hire and take an island break
Pick up your Isle of Man car hire and get exploring this fascinating little island that sits between Northern Ireland and England in the Irish Sea. Beautiful pastoral scenery, rugged coastlines, and Medieval castles combine to make every visit here a dreamy escape. This lovely location offers myriad recreational activities, relaxed sightseeing, and fantastic wildlife viewing. An IOM car hire will let you explore the entire island from Douglas to Port Erin to Bride. Find a deal today.
Picking up Isle of Man car hire
The airport serving the Isle of Man is known as Ronaldsway Airport and is located six miles southwest of Douglas. Flights between popular cities in the UK like Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester and other nearby destinations are available but limited. The terminal provides several eateries and newsagents, an ATM, a parent-and-baby room, and free WiFi throughout. Confirm the exact pick up location with your chosen car rental company prior to your arrival.
Finding your way around with an IOM car hire
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your Isle of Man car hire.
- Leaving Ronaldsway Airport on your way to Douglas, get on the A5 heading north towards Ballasalla. At the roundabout near the Whitestone Inn, you’ll veer right to stay on the A5. As you enter the outskirts of Douglas, turn right onto the A2 to cross the River Glass and then veer right almost immediately onto Peel Road which will lead you into central Douglas.
- Outside of residential areas, there are no official speed limits—however, the police may stop you for reckless driving, so stick to an appropriate speed for the road.
- Winter driving can be a challenge on the island. Check reports for weather conditions and road closures before setting out. Adjust your speed for slippery conditions—even if you can’t see ice on the road, as black ice can develop.
- In town centres, there are zones which operate with a parking disc— these are available from most suppliers, so ask about one from the car hire desks when you pick up the vehicle. They are used to show the time of arrival in a parking space and ensure that you adhere to a time limit. Some pay and display parking lots are also found in Douglas.
Car rental Isle of Man: Things to see and do
Come to marvel at the incredible engineering of the largest working waterwheel in the world. Also known as Lady Isabella, the wheel is a sight to behold, as are the incredible views of the Laxey Valley.
Head to the top of the highest mountain on the Isle of Man to get incredible views of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, and even Ireland. Walk to the summit on your own or take a 30-minute ride on the Snaefell Mountain Railway.
Rent a car at Isle of Man Ronaldsway Airport and visit the island’s former capital city and explore the well-preserved Castle Rushen in the centre of town. This cute little harbour area has multiple gems to discover including fantastic museums, the Old House of Keys, and ‘fairy doors’.
This lovely little town on the West Coast has another much larger—if slightly less preserved—castle to explore, in addition to more fascinating historical sites and panoramic views around St. Patrick’s Isle.
TT Races Route
As the Isle of Man is home to one of the most famous motor racing routes in the world, you may wish to drive the route yourself and see what all the fuss is about.
Rent a car Isle of Man: Top tips
- Car hire Isle of Man Airport options are limited, so you must book well in advance to secure the vehicle you want. Summer is the peak season to visit the island, so sort your car rental early.
- The majority of IOM rental car options are manual. If you require an automatic, make sure you choose or request this option at the time of booking and confirm it before arrival.
- Check the customer reviews to know what fellow travellers have to say about Isle of Man car hire.
What our customers say
Can I hire a car in the Isle of Man?
You can hire a car from Isle of Man Airport if you have a full and valid driver’s licence, a second form of ID and a credit card in your name. If your licence is not in English, you may also require an International Drivers Permit. Do note that some car hire companies require you to be at least 25 years old and/or pay a young drivers fee if you are between the ages of 21 and 24.
How much does it cost to rent a car in Isle of Man?
Prices for car hire Isle of Man - Douglas vary due to various factors so it is best to check current prices using our comparison tool at the top of this page.
What is the cheapest car rental company in Isle of Man?
The cheapest car rental company on Isle of Man is currently Avis, but prices do fluctuate so compare multiple brands using our search widget at the top of this page. Off airport depots usually have cheap car hire rates to address the inconvenience of coming to a different location to pick up the vehicles. Remember that the best car hire deals are those which suit your needs.
Which car rental companies are at the Isle of Man Airport?
Car hire companies at the Isle of Man Airport include Avis, Europcar, and Keddy.
What types of cars can I rent from Isle of Man?
Currently, you can rent only economy cars on the Isle of Man.
How old do I have to be to book an Isle of Man car rental?
You must be at least 23 years old when booking an Isle of Man car hire / Douglas rentals. Some car hire companies require you to be 25 and/or may charge a young drivers fee if you’re 23 or 24.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental in Isle of Man?
Filter your search results by selecting the ‘Pay at Pickup’ filter under the Payment Type heading, to see which brands allow you to book IOM hire cars offers now and pay for it later.
Is it possible to book one way from Isle of Man Airport?
What is the best type of car to rent in the Isle of Man?
The best type of car hire on the Isle of Man depends on your itinerary. When hiring a car, choose something that suits the terrain you will be travelling, whether that is winding mountain roads or narrow city streets.
What do I need to bring when I collect my car rental in Isle of Man?
When you collect your car rental in Isle of Man, bring your license, a second form of identification, and a credit card. If your license is not in English, you may also require an International Drivers Permit.
5 great tips for an unforgettable car hire Sydney holiday with kids29 September 2022 9 minutes to read
5 Different Types of Accommodation in the Gold Coast for every Traveller22 September 2022 12 minutes to read
Top 3 tips for visiting Perth’s national parks in a campervan hire21 September 2022 13 minutes to read