Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
See Scotland with an Edinburgh Airport car rental
Pick up an Edinburgh Airport car hire and find out why visitors come back to this Scottish capital again and again. Fall in love with the Medieval architecture and tucked away pubs, and admire the hilltop views overlooking the sea. Get a fascinating history lesson as you tour castles, vaults, palaces, memorials and more. Find a deal on Edinburgh Airport car hire and plan your trip to this charming Scottish city, today.
Picking up car hire at Edinburgh Airport UK
Edinburgh Airport offers a plethora of shops, dining options and cafes. Find hotels, pay-per-use lounges, children’s play areas, an art gallery, spa and even on-site dry cleaning. Sync up on free WiFi (limited to two hours), and find multiple charging stations throughout the terminal.
All hire car agencies at Edinburgh Airport are located in one place, next to the multi-storey car park. You can get there via the covered walkway from the passenger terminal. All major car hire companies have dedicated rental counters at the Edinburgh Airport Car Rental Centre.
Finding your way around with an Edinburgh car rental
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your Edinburgh Airport car hire.
- Depending on the traffic conditions, the drive from Edinburgh Airport to the city takes about 30 minutes. Exit the airport on Eastfield Road to merge onto A8/Glasgow Road. Stay on this road until turning right onto Balgreen Road, then at the roundabout take the first exit on Stevenson Road, continuing on Approach Road. Take a left onto Lothian Road and a right on Castle Terrace to arrive in Old Town, Edinburgh’s city centre.
- Make sure to use a GPS when driving your hire car near Old Town as many roads are off-limits to cars and the road signs are hard to read or find. We recommend parking your Edinburgh car hire just outside the city centre limits and walking or taking public transport into Old Town.
- Beware of streets only to be used by private cars, public transport or taxis. Keep an eye out for cyclists—and share the road.
- Watch out for potholes throughout the city.
- Parking your rental car near Old Town can be expensive for hourly rates or all-day parking garages. The city offers pay-and-display zones for around £2 to £3.60 per hour from 8:30am to 6:30pm, Monday to Saturday (Sunday and national holidays are free). The city encourages visitors to use the free parking lots at “Park & Ride” locations at bus and train stations on the outskirts of town.
Edinburgh Airport car hire: Things to see and do
Discover a hidden history of Edinburgh, as Mary King’s Close is right beneath the historic old town of the city, and is filled with incredible tales of murder, mystery, and urban legend. Head to Edinburgh Castle on Castle Rock, one of the strongest fortresses in the kingdom. Here you’ll find the Crown Jewels, the Stone of Destiny and unparalleled views.
Learn and admire
Art and history lovers must visit the Scottish National Gallery, the City Art Centre of Edinburgh, and the National Museum of Scotland.
Head to the Writer’s Museum, where you’ll find a celebration of the lives of three of the country’s best wordsmiths—Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Burns, and Sir Walter Scott. Edinburgh is the world's first UNESCO City of Literature, and there are hints of this status all over the city.
Top tips for car hire Edinburgh Airport
- If you’re looking for the best car hire at Edinburgh Airport, check out our customer reviews page to see what fellow travellers have to say.
- If you require an automatic Edinburgh airport car hire, be sure to select this option in the search filters, as many rental cars in Scotland are manual drives.
- The cheapest car hire from Edinburgh Airport may not always be the best option. Check the listing for inclusions and specific depot locations. Off airport depots usually offer cheap car hire deals but less convenient.
- Consider the terrain you will be travelling before choosing a vehicle. A trip to the Highlands will have different requirements than a city sojourn.
What our customers say
How much does it cost to rent a car in Edinburgh?
The cost of car hire at Edinburgh Airport UK varies depending on season and availability. Compare current prices across multiple brands to find the best deals and perfect hire car for your Edinburgh adventure .
What is the cheapest car rental company in Edinburgh?
The cheapest Edinburgh airport rental car company is currently Green Motion, but this can change depending on availability. Check current prices and compare thousands of car hire deals using our search tool at the top of this page.
Can I rent a car from Edinburgh Airport?
If you have a full and valid driver’s licence, a second form of ID and a credit card in your name, you can rent a car from Edinburgh Airport. Do note that some car hire companies have age restrictions, and if your license is not in English you may also require an International Drivers Permit.
Which car rental companies are at Edinburgh Airport?
There are several rental companies at Edinburgh Airport, including Hertz Edinburgh Airport, Europcar Edinburgh Airport, Sixt Edinburgh Airport, Avis Edinburgh Airport, Budget, Green Motion, Easirent, Arnold Clark, Keddy, Alamo, and Enterprise. Proceed to the Car Hire Centre next to the multi-storey car park, just a short walk from the terminal building, to find the dedicated rental counter of your chosen car hire provider.
What types of cars can I rent from Edinburgh?
Several types of rental cars are available from Edinburgh, including mini, compact, economy, intermediate, large, station wagon/estate, SUV, people carriers/vans, and premium/luxury vehicles.
How old do I have to be to book an Edinburgh car rental?
Age requirements for booking an Edinburgh Airport car hire vary by brand, ranging from 21 - 25, with some rental companies charging an additional young driver’s fee. Type your details into the search form to determine what rent a car Edinburgh airport deals are available to you.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental in Edinburgh?
Not all companies allow you to reserve now and pay later. Filter the results by typing ‘Pay at Pickup’ under the Payment Type heading to see which brands allow this option.
Is it possible to book one-way from Edinburgh Airport?
It is possible to book one-way car hire from Edinburgh Airport if you wish to drop your vehicle at another location in the UK. Simply type in your desired destination to see availability and the associated costs for car rental returns. You may choose Edinburgh as your pick up location and drop off the car hire in Bristol, London Gatwick, London Heathrow or other car rental locations in the UK.
What is the best type of car to rent in Edinburgh?
Depending on your travel plans, the best type of car to rent in Edinburgh may be an economy car that can easily navigate the narrow streets of the city, or an SUV that will suit the terrain of the Scottish Highlands. Choose your Edinburgh airport rental cars based on your itinerary.
What do I need to bring when I collect my car rental in Edinburgh?
Bring your full driving licence, a second form of identification, and a credit card when you pick up your rental car Edinburgh Airport.
5 great tips for an unforgettable car hire Sydney holiday with kids29 September 2022 9 minutes to read
5 Different Types of Accommodation in the Gold Coast for every Traveller22 September 2022 12 minutes to read
Top 3 tips for visiting Perth’s national parks in a campervan hire21 September 2022 13 minutes to read