Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Hit the highlights in Hawkes Bay
Make the most out of your time in Hawke’s Bay with a car rental from Napier Airport. The relaxed coastal city is a destination hotspot thanks to its stunning ocean views, art-deco downtown, and vineyard-dotted countryside. Drive to gannet colonies, fresh produce markets, award-winning wineries, and more during your stay.
Driving around Napier
Expect a more laid-back approach from drivers as this city is a mellow, seaside town made up of a blend of holiday-goers, families, and older residents. Stick to following the rules of the road in and around Napier.
- Drive on the left side of the road and be mindful of roundabouts and pedestrian crossings.
- Expect the speed limit to be between 30 to 50km/h throughout the city centre.
- Parking downtown is plentiful with hourly rates between Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm and Saturdays from 8am to 2pm.
- Beach parking is typically free, but time restrictions may apply.
- With wineries a huge draw to the region, please designate a driver or book a tour if you plan to sample the local drop.
Exploring Hawkes Bay in a Napier car rental
Napier Airport, also referred to as Hawke’s Bay Airport, is a relatively small, well-signed terminal that’s easy to navigate. Find the rental car counters in the Arrivals Hall in the main terminal near the entrance/exit doors. Collect your car hire, and make the short 10-minute drive to reach the city and begin your holiday.
- Stroll the Marine Parade - kids will love the age-specific playgrounds.
- Say hi to rescued penguins at the National Aquarium of New Zealand.
- Take an Art Deco Tour around town in a vintage car.
- Visit the Botanical Gardens.
- Grab an ice cream or play mini-golf next to the beach.
Explore more of Hawke’s Bay with your Napier Airport car rental
- Go wine-tasting at the many nearby vineyards - select a designated driver or book on a tour.
- Drive to the top of Te Mata Peak in Hastings for a 360-degree view.
- See the gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers.
- Discover Shine Falls, a 58m-high waterfall in the native bush.
Napier Airport car hire: Secure the right rental
Pre-booking is essential to ensure you have a car hire for getting around Napier, but there are more choices to consider before you book.
- Book early for this popular location. As it is a smaller depot with no other agencies in the area, availability could be an issue.
- Choose a 4WD if you plan to explore the rolling countryside. Napier itself is quite flat, but you’ll encounter plenty of hills in the wider region.
- For longer trips, choose features like unlimited mileage and roadside assistance with your Napier car hire.
What our customers say
How much does it cost to hire a car at Napier Airport?
Renting a car from Napier Airport is often very affordable when booking in advance. The daily rates fluctuate due to availability crunches over public holidays and other busy travel periods. Compare up-to-the-minute prices across multiple brands instantly using our sophisticated search engine.
What is the cheapest car hire agency at Napier Airport?
Affordable rental car brands at Napier Airport include Europcar, Rent a Dent Napier, and Hertz Napier. Use our comparison site to check deals for your exact date.
Which car rental suppliers are based in or around Napier Airport?
Napier Airport is home to at least six car rental partnered companies including international brands such as Avis, Budget, Europcar, and Thrifty Napier.
Which car hire companies in Napier have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
We understand that you may have extra concerns regarding cleanliness during COVID-19 times. To make you feel safe and comfortable, we’ve added an enhanced cleaning option provided by the car rental partner. Simply tick this feature during your search to find out which companies offer it.
Can I collect a car from Napier Airport and return somewhere else?
Returning your Napier Airport NZ car rental to a different location is possible. Simply uncheck 'Drop off at same location' in your search bar, and enter your chosen destination. One-way bookings may incur an additional charge.
How old do I need to be to rent a car from Napier Airport?
The minimum driving age for a Napier Airport car hire is 21 years. A young driver’s surcharge may be applied for those between the ages of 21 and 24. Find more details in the rental terms.
What types of cars can I rent from Napier Airport?
Napier Airport has a range of vehicles available for car hire including compact, economy, intermediate, large, SUV, vans, and utility trucks.
Can I return my vehicle after hours?
After-hour returns depend on your chosen rental car depot. Please see the rental terms before selecting a car hire if you need a late drop-off and enter your estimated drop-off time during your search process. Contact the local depot for up-to-the-minute information and to make any special arrangements.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental from Napier Airport?
The book now, pay later feature is available for some rental car brands like Hertz Napier. Tick the pay at pickup feature on the left-hand side of the search page to see availability.
What is the speed limit in Napier?
The speed limit ranges from 30km/h to 70km/h. Expect slower speed limits near the CBD and crosswalks with speed limits increasing on outer roads and highways.