Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Discover the best of the West with a Hokitika car rental
Pick up a Hokitika car hire and get exploring the wonders of the West Coast on the South Island. Hokitika is a ‘Cool Little Town’ with a relaxed atmosphere, friendly locals, and truly breathtaking scenery. Here you’ll get to know the history of New Zealand’s gold rush era, seaside shipwrecks, and pounamu hunters. Hokitika has adventures to offer in every direction, and a cosy home base to refuel after long days of sightseeing. Savour lazy mornings at coffee shops, stroll along the wild beach, and browse galleries featuring local goods. Get a car hire Hokitika deal and plan your trip, today.
Explore our special offers
Picking up Hokitika Airport car rental
Hokitika Airport is a regional travel hub on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island, connecting the area to the rest of the world via direct flights to Christchurch. It’s small and doesn’t feature much in the way of shopping and dining, but has all the basic facilities a traveller needs, including an amazing view. When you touch down at the airport, you can pick up your Hokitika rental car straight away. Simply follow the signs to the the arrivals hall and head to your chosen company’s in-terminal counter after collecting your luggage.
Finding your way around with a car hire Hokitika
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your car rental from Hokitika Airport.
- Hokitika Airport is conveniently located just two kilometres, or a three-minute drive, from the Hokitika township. Take Airport Drive to Tudor Street and then turn left onto State Highway 6.
- If you’re heading south, keep in mind that Hokitika is the last full-service town for 550 kilometres—stock up on whatever you may need.
- The West Coast is known for wet weather. Check local conditions and road closures before setting out on your car hire trip, and when in doubt, stay put!
- If you have any questions about the area, head to the Hokitika i-SITE Visitor Centre. As part of New Zealand's official nationwide Visitor Information Network, it provides booking services for accommodation, activities, attractions, as well as AA and driver licensing services.
Car rental Hokitika: Things to see and do
- Hokitika Beach - A visit to this wild beach is a must-do no matter what time of year you visit. It’s ruggedly beautiful and provides an incredible setting to watch a stunning sunset.
- Hokitika Gorge - Drive your Hokitika car hire 33 kilometres inland to see this gorgeous spectacle of nature. A 15-minute walk through the lush green forest will bring you to the sparkle of blue water and the iconic swing bridge.
- National Kiwi Centre - This is your chance to see New Zealand’s national bird, the kiwi, up close and personal. You’ll also see Tuatara, Giant Eels, Crayfish and Whitebait.
- Paparoa National Park - An hour’s drive north in your Hokitika hire car will bring you to the outer edges of this stunning park known for its unique landscapes. The famous Pancake Rocks and Blowholes Walk is just the beginning.
- Westland Tai Poutini National Park - A drive two hours south will bring you to the Westland District, with access to the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers.
Top tips for car rental Hokitika Airport
- Hokitika has a limited car rental supply, so it is essential that you book yours well in advance.
- It is possible to rent a car for a month or longer in Hokitika, depending on the rental company. Type your dates into the search bar to view the brands and their costs.
- If you are planning on a long road trip from Hokitika, opt for a spacious, sturdy vehicle like an SUV. Road conditions in this area can be hazardous due to wet weather.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Car hire Hokitika: Frequently asked questions
Can you hire a car in Hokitika?
Yes, there are several options for your Hokitika tour. You can get a rental car Hokitika Airport inside the terminal building. Companies such as Avis, Budget Car Rental, Ezi, Hertz Hokitika, Thrifty have kiosks here.
If you wish to avail of a vehicle rental from an off-airport location, you may also arrange a free pick up service from depots nearby. Just contact the location phone number listed for your chosen supplier.
Who has the best rates for car rental?
The company with the cheapest rental rates in Hokitika can vary with the season, availability, and specials, but Budget and Ezi Car Rental have consistently low prices. Check current rates by typing your dates into the search box on this page.
How do I find the best car rental deals in Hokitika?
Visit this website regularly to see what rental deals are on for Hokitika. Our search function compares rates across multiple car hire companies.
What types of cars can I rent in Hokitika?
In Hokitika, you can get late model rental cars such as compact, economy, large, and SUV. Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra, and Mitsubishi ASX are all common.
Can I rent one way?
It is possible to rent a one-way rental car from Hokitika Airport. You can complete your car hire tour in Picton, or in Timaru. You can also drop off your rental car in Blenheim or maybe end your trip in Greymouth. Simply type your dates into the search function to see the availability of suppliers and vehicles and associated one-way costs.
Can I return outside operating hours?
If you wish to return your Hokitika airport car rental outside operating hours, you will need to organise that with your car rental company beforehand, so you can proceed to the rental car park designated spaces upon drop off.
What licence do I need?
You just need a regular, full, and valid driver’s licence to get rental cars in Hokitika. If your licence is in a language other than English, you may also need to present an International Drivers Permit or a suitable translation.
What is included in the hire rate?
Most car hire companies in Hokitika offer unlimited mileage in the rental rate. To check this and other inclusions, see the specs under each car hire Hokitika listing.
Is there a minimum hire period?
The minimum hire period is usually just one day for car hire Hokitika, but travelers will get better value with a longer rental period.
How much does it cost to hire a car in Hokitika?
The vehicle rent price is usually based on several factors such as rental location, pick up date, drop-off date, vehicle availability. But, you can expect to find Hokitika car rental for around NZD$44 per day.
By using our booking widget, you can browse offers specific to your preferences and get a more accurate rental estimate. You can also input your discount code quantity (if there's any) before you complete your booking. No booking fees, plus you are free to cancel pick up service on most cars! Booking with GoSee is so simple, secure, and convenient.