Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Explore the West Coast with a car hire from Greymouth Railway Station
Greymouth is the “Big Smoke” of the South Island’s wild west coast region. The unassuming town is a welcoming refuge amidst the vastness of the windswept coast and towering mountains. It has distinct and fascinating histories of Māori settlement and then colonial gold mining, and is home to some talented artisans working with a beautiful natural resource from the area—New Zealand jade, also known locally as greenstone or pounamu.
Car rental locations in Greymouth
Greymouth Railway Station has several car rental companies in the direct vicinity, including Ace, Thrifty, Dollar, Hertz, Avis, and Budget. They are easily accessible on Mackay Street, not far from the Visitor Information Centre (i-Site) and close to the Grey River.
Need-to-know information for your Greymouth car rental adventure
With a car rental from Greymouth Railway Station, you can explore a part of the world that’s simply incomparable. The west coast of New Zealand’s South Island is relatively untouched, friendly, stunningly scenic, and home to some amazing landscape features. The Fox and Franz Josef glaciers are a few hours’ drive south from the town. Head east through Arthur’s Pass to take your rental car to Christchurch or go north to reach Picton, the docking point for the Interislander ferry.
Driving tips for your Greymouth hire car
A safe and incident-free journey is one that can be memorable and exciting for all the right reasons! New Zealand’s roads have their own quirks, so take a look at our tips below to arm yourself with some local knowledge of rules and customs.
- Always drive on the left! If you are coming from a country with the opposite arrangement, you may need to take some time to become accustomed.
- Roads on the West Coast, and especially those that run from there to the other coast, have sections that are windy and steep. Always drive with care (particularly in wet, snowy, or icy conditions), brake before corners, and stay in your lane around blind corners.
- Distances are posted in kilometres and speed in kilometres per hour.
- State highways and main routes in New Zealand tend to go through small towns rather than bypass them. Be prepared for variation in speed limits according to the setting.
- If a particularly stunning vista catches your eye, pull over to enjoy it rather than trying to gaze and drive at the same time.
- The blood alcohol concentration limit for drivers over 20 years of age in New Zealand is 0.05%, or 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. For drivers under the age of 20, the limit is 0.
- The default speed limit in built-up areas is 50 kilometres per hour. For open roads and highways, the most common limit is 100 kph.
Destination ideas for an unforgettable Greymouth rental car adventure
Picking up a hire car in Greymouth with plans to explore is the start of something amazing. The South Island is a natural wonderland, packed with fantastic places to see.
You’ll find plenty to do and see even within a few hours’ drive of Greymouth. We’ve put together some of the highlight destinations nearby.
- Fox and Franz Josef glaciers - Drive your rental car a few hours south down the coast to explore these incredible natural features and the nearby towns. You can hike up the valleys to see these immense frozen rivers in person or take helicopter tours to enjoy them from the air. If you have more time for a bike adventure, you can cycle the West Coast Wilderness Trail, as this retraces old packhorse tracks, tramlines, railways.
- Hokitika Gorge - It’s less than an hour from Greymouth to The Hokitika Gorge, via the bustling tourist town of Hokitika. The vivid turquoise colour of the water in the gorge is incredibly beautiful, caused by powdered rock ground by glaciers in the mountains above.
- Pancake rocks, Punakaiki - This spectacular rock formation is around 40 minutes’ drive north from Greymouth. Here the limestone pillars have been naturally formed and eroded to look like stacked pancakes.
- Nelson Lakes National Park - Head northeast and into the mountains to visit St Arnaud and this spectacular national park made up of snowy peaks, glacial lakes, rugged ridges, and verdant valleys. It’s best explored on foot, so bring your hiking boots and be prepared to hit the trails.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Can I rent a car in Greymouth Railway Station?
Yes, there are several hire car suppliers in Greymouth. Many are located in an off-airport location near the train station. You can get rental cars Greymouth Railway Station from companies such as Ace, Avis, Apex, Budget, Dollar, Europcar, Ezi, Hertz, Keddy, Thrifty. Just contact the location phone number listed for your chosen supplier if you want to arrange a free pick up service from these depots nearby. Please note that most suppliers do not allow after-hours pick-ups or drop-offs.
Also, it is possible to rent a one-way rental car from Greymouth. You may end your car hire trip Timaru, Blenheim, or Hokitika. Simply type your dates into the search function to see availability and associated one-way costs.
Where can I get the best car rental rates?
Ace is one of the lowest-cost car rental Greymouth NZ suppliers. To find cheap car rentals in Greymouth, use the search function at the top of the page and filter by “Lowest price”. From there, you can refine search and use other handy filters on the left side of the page and tailor them to your vehicle hire preferences.
Do you know that you can easily manage your car hire Greymouth bookings with GoSee? You have an account when you have a booking! At the upper right portion of this page is a link to "Manage Booking" to get you started. In case you have forgotten your password, simply enter your email address, and you will receive a one-time verification code security in your inbox so you can log in. If you need more help, you may contact reservations/support team for further assistance.
What is the minimum age to hire a car?
Most Greymouth New Zealand car rental companies require that drivers be 21 or older. Some will add a surcharge for anyone under the age of 25.
What type of licence is required?
To drive a car rental in Greymouth New Zealand, you will need a full, valid licence from your home country or an International Driving Permit. This rule also applies to additional drivers.
How much does it cost to hire a car in Greymouth?
The car hire Greymouth price usually depends on the selected pick up/drop-off date and availability. But, you can expect to find a vehicle rent for around NZD$61 per day. Generally, hiring a car for more than a week reduces the daily cost, and rental cars in the compact and economy categories usually have the best rates.
Booking with GoSee is so simple, secure, and convenient. You may utilise our search widget to see rental car Greymouth Railway Station offers according to your preferences and get a more accurate rental estimate. You can also input your discount code quantity (if there's any) before you finalise your booking. No booking fees, and no cancellation fees on most cars!