Why book a rental car with us?
24/7 customer support
Explore Vancouver Island with a Victoria Airport car rental
Pick up your Victoria Airport car rental and start enjoying the relaxed place of this gorgeous provincial capital city. Vibrant gardens, stunning architecture and scenic views abound. Visitors can stroll along the beautiful waterfront—shopping and sipping as they go—or enjoy the great outdoors with an energetic hike, bike or paddle. Take advantage of rare wildlife viewing, beautiful beaches, and myriad wining and dining opportunities. Secure a great Victoria car rental deal today.
Explore our special offers
Picking up your Victoria car rental
Victoria International Airport (YYJ) is located approximately 25km from downtown Victoria. The three-storey terminal building features 2 air bridges, 11 aircraft stands and 3 luggage carousels. Airport facilities include restaurants, shops, currency exchange, tourist help desk, and car rental agents. Free WiFi is available throughout the terminal.
Victoria Airport is served by at least six major car rental companies, with four on-airport rental car counters located in the Arrivals or baggage claim area across from the Information Desk. Car hire bookings with off-airport locations require a pre-arranged pick up with the chosen operator—the pick up point is located across the crosswalk at the arrivals end of the terminal building.
Finding your way around with a Victoria Airport car rental
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your rental car Victoria Airport:
- The 26-kilometre drive to downtown Victoria will take roughly 40 minutes via Patricia Bay Highway (BC-17). When departing Victoria International Airport, you will need to navigate a traffic roundabout.
- In most cases, you can take your Victoria rental car onto the ferry between the mainland and the island. Check with your chosen rental provider regarding specific terms.
- Island driving means limited travel routes. If possible, use a real-time traffic application such as Waze or Google to map out your destination and avoid roadworks or traffic jams.
- Check travel advisories before road tripping around the island, as severe weather events can cause road closures and delays.
- Parking is plentiful in Victoria, serviced with five parkades, three surface parking lots, and nearly 2,000 on-street parking spaces downtown. Rates and time limits vary and can be paid for via the ParkVictoria App.
Car rental Victoria: Things to do and see
Get lost in 55 acres of stunning scents and blooms when you visit this family-run sanctuary. Take in the breathtaking beauty of 900 varietals across 26 greenhouses—and visit any time of year.
Get on board a boat trip from Downtown Victoria for the chance to view orcas, humpback, minke and grey whales for a truly awe-inspiring experience. While some luck is involved, getting a glimpse of Victoria’s coastline alone would be worth the trip!
Hit the beach
You would have to expect an island to have some beautiful beaches, and the sandy shores of Willows Beach, Cadboro-Gyro Beach or the Island View Beach Regional Park do not disappoint.
Don’t leave the island without a peek at the astonishing Victorian mansion that sits on a hill overlooking the city. The ‘bonanza castle’ was built in the late 1800s by a wealthy industrialist, fitted out with only the best of the best of the era.
Top tips for car rentals in Victoria
- Budget consistently offers cheap car rentals Victoria Airport.
- If you’re looking to splash out for a special occasion with a luxury car rental in Victoria, BC, book it in as soon as possible. The selection is quite limited, but good planning could land you a Cadillac ATS!
- If you want to pick up your vehicle as soon as you land at the airport, choose an on site brand like National or Thrifty Car Rental Victoria Airport. If you book with Enterprise Victoria Airport or Alamo, you will require a pick up to take you to the rental depot.
- Take advantage of the free pick up service when you book an off-the-airport Victoria rent a car deal.
- Be sure to take the handouts freely given at the rental counter. These may contain handy discount codes for fuel delivery service or flat tire service, or ways to get such for free. Usually, there is also information about how to make a roadside assistance call when needed, and up-to-date locations of the electronic toll collection program (where to pay tolls electronically).
What our customers say
How much does it cost to rent a car from Victoria Airport?
The cost of renting a car from Victoria Airport can change depending on multiple factors, including season, demand, and availability. Type your desired dates into the search tool at the top of this page to view and compare up-to-the-minute prices across multiple car rental companies in Victoria BC!
Where are the car rental counters at Victoria Airport?
The rental car counters at Victoria Airport are located in the Arrivals area across from the Information Desk. Simply follow the signs to the baggage claim area and proceed to the rental counter of your chosen provider. Pick up your rental car parked outside the baggage claim area, just a short walk to the parking lot.
What car rental suppliers are at Victoria Intl. Airport (YYJ)?
There are at least six major car rental companies available from Victoria International Airport. Currently, four have airport locations: Budget, National, Avis, and Hertz; and two are located off-site and require shuttle service upon landing: Alamo and Enterprise.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental at Victoria International Airport?
Yes, you can book a rental car from Victoria Airport now and pay for it later. When searching for vehicles, simply tick the filter ‘Pay at Pick up’ under the heading ‘Payment Type’. Your search results will provide you with the car rental companies that allow this option at Victoria International Airport—most do.
What is the cheapest car rental in Victoria?
The cheapest car rental company varies, but National has consistently low rates.
What is the most popular rental car in Victoria?
Intermediate sized vehicles like Toyota Corollas, Hyundai Elantras, and Kia Forte are popular in Victoria. SUVs like Toyota RAV4s and Hyundai Konas are also popular.
Which car rental companies in Victoria have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Most car rental companies in Victoria BC have updated their vehicle and safety policies as a result of COVID-19. Certain companies—like National, Enterprise and Alamo—even offer an ‘Enhanced Cleaning’ option, which you can select as a filter requirement under the ‘Suggested’ heading in the GoSee search results.
Why is it cheaper to rent a car from the Airport?
It is not always cheaper to rent a car from the airport as rates vary depending on several factors. However, if the airport is located far away from your final destination, it can be cheaper and more efficient to pick up the rental vehicle straight from the airport rather than having to arrange another form of transportation.
How old do I have to be to book a Victoria car rental?
You must be at least 20 years old to book a car rental Victoria BC with Hertz, and at least 21 years old to book from Avis, National, Enterprise, Alamo and Budget. Renters under the age of 25 will also likely be required to pay youthful driver charges, aside from satisfying all requirements for a Canadian driver's license.
Who can drive a YYJ car rental?
To book and drive Victoria Airport car rentals, the hirer must also be qualified as the primary driver who has a valid driver's license and a major credit card under their name (for holding deposit and completing payment). Temporary driver's licenses are not allowed.
For non-residents of Canada, the home country driver's license and an IDP (international driver's permit) or equivalent, must be brought during the entire rental period. The individual's home country license should also be a valid license; not a temporary license, not an expired home state license (US driver's license is generally accepted, however various licensing laws may govern certain car rental locations). Note that digital licenses are in the trial phase; please refer to the driver's license information policy of your state or territory about this. It won't hurt to always bring along additional government issued identification to go with the home country license, like a valid passport is strongly considered valid identification document.
Aside from the renter, only permitted additional drivers must drive the rental vehicle any time during the rental period. Any additional authorized driver must be enrolled via the booking process; imposed are the same laws governing the renter's driver's license.
Is it possible to book a one-way rental from Victoria Airport?
Planning to go on a car hire tour in Halifax or Toronto from Victoria BC? It is possible to book a one-way rental from Victoria Airport, but rental locations policies vary per rental company. Certain ones are very flexible with their terms, whether you are taking the car ferry over to Vancouver and driving straight across Canada, or crossing the border to the USA.
Others are more conservative with the rental agreement and require you to stay on Vancouver Island with your rental cars. To browse options and get a quote, uncheck the box ‘Return car to same location’ and type in your chosen destination in the search form at the top of this page.