Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
GoSee it all with a Hamilton airport car rental
Pick up a Hamilton Airport car rental and get exploring the best of Southern Ontario. This bustling city on the western tip of Lake Ontario is perfectly positioned in the midst of natural wonders and urban delights. You can hike to waterfalls and bike through forested trails by day, and sample internationally acclaimed culinary delicacies by night. This thriving port city offers historic tales, a contemporary art scene, and lively nightlife. To best enjoy this fabulous blend of nature and metropolis, secure a car rental deal and get planning your trip today.
Explore our special offers
Picking up your car rentals from Hamilton Airport
The John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (YHM) is named after the man who turned this old air force training station into a regional transport hub for commercial flights. As well as restaurants, shops, ATMs, and free WiFi, passengers who have a same-day boarding pass will get free admission to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum on site.
To collect your vehicle, proceed to the car rental locations in the arrivals zone opposite the baggage claim area right next to the main exit. To return your car hire, just follow the airport signs for rental car return. You may return the keys and completed contract to the rental counter or into the drop box.
If you prefer to get a rental vehicle from nearby locations, you can use the supplier's free pick up service and collect your keys from their depot downtown.
What you need to know about hiring a car in Hamilton, Ontario
Finding your way around
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your car rental from Hamilton, Ontario Airport.
- The John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport is roughly 20 kilometres south of the city. When you leave the terminal to head downtown, turn right onto ON-6, then turn right again once you hit the 403. Once you get close to town, one final right turn onto Main Street West will take you into the heart of Hamilton. On a map, this trip isn’t as straightforward as taking the West 5th Street route, but it is generally faster with fewer traffic problems and should only take 20 minutes under normal driving conditions.
- To park your car rental at YHM Airport, choose from the short-term and long-term options. The shorter term parkade costs a little more and is located in front of the terminal building, whereas long-term parking is slightly further away but costs less. To pay, either pick up a ticket on your way in and pay it before you drive out, or insert your credit card upon entry and exit.
- Generally speaking, traffic conditions are quite manageable in Hamilton, with just a few areas of congestion around Queen Elizabeth Way and the usual rush hours that you’d expect from any large city.
- There are 63 municipal car parks throughout Hamilton, as well as more than 4,600 off-street parking stalls. Additionally, a number of private companies offer parking spaces around the city, so you won’t have any issues finding a space for your Hamilton rental car.
Things to see and do with a Hamilton car rental
- Hiking trails - Hamilton's scenic trails are easily accessible, with waterfront paths and lush forest valleys leading the way to thundering waterfalls and stunning landscapes. Don’t miss the famous Bruce Trail which curves along the edge of the Niagara Escarpment.
- West Harbour - A place to gather, dine, and shop, West Harbour is a scenic waterfront precinct full of endless opportunities for entertainment, recreation and relaxation.
- Dundurn Castle - Dive into the history of the region with a visit to this gorgeous, sprawling estate overlooking the bay. Immerse yourself in the stories of bygone days as you enjoy the stunning grounds.
- African Lion Safari - Animal lovers will adore this fabulously unique reserve, where elephants, lions and giraffes roam the grounds and delight tourists of all ages.
Top tips for Hamilton Airport car rental
- Hamilton is a high traffic area in Ontario. You may wish to opt for a compact or economy size vehicle for better manoeuvring on tight streets and easier parking in busy neighbourhoods.
- Summer is the most popular time to get rental cars in Hamilton, so book well in advance to secure the vehicle you want.
- If you are only planning to start your holiday in Hamilton, keep in mind that you are welcome to end your trip at other car rental locations in Canada. Great cities within road trip distance include Toronto, Ottawa, London, and Montreal. One-way rental fees may apply.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Car rental Hamilton, Ontario: Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to rent a car in Hamilton?
Car rental prices in Hamilton vary due to the influence of multiple factors, such as demand, availability, seasonality, and more. To get an accurate estimate for your car rental Hamilton Ontario Airport, do a quick search right here to compare prices and cars across multiple brands. Before check-out, you may also key in your discount code to get more savings.
What is the cheapest car rental company in Hamilton?
The cheapest car rental company in Hamilton can change, so it is best to compare up-to-the-minute prices using the search tool at the top of this page. However, you can usually expect Budget and National Car Rental Hamilton Airport to have good rates.
Can I rent a car from John C. Munro Hamilton Intl. Airport (YHM)?
If you are 21 years or older, fully licensed to drive a car, and have a credit card in your name, you should be able to rent a car from one of the rental depots at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (YHM).
Which car rental companies are at the John C. Munro Hamilton Intl. Airport?
There are currently four car rental companies at the John C. Munro Hamilton Intl. Airport: Avis, National, Budget and Enterprise Hamilton Airport. Just proceed to the rental counter of your chosen provider so you can drop off/pick up your car rent.
What is the most popular rental car in Hamilton?
The most popular car rentals in Hamilton are small SUVs like the Toyota RAV4, and mid-size vehicles such as the Toyota Corolla.
How old do I have to be to book a Hamilton Airport car hire?
You must be at least 21 years old to rent a car Hamilton Airport, and drivers under 25 will likely pay a young drivers surcharge.
Can you take a rental car across the border?
Our rental partners adhere to different policies regarding border crossings. It is best to check the terms on each individual listing when choosing a hire car to understand the specifics of your rental agreement. Confirm your route with your chosen pick up depot before crossing the border. Don't forget to use your car system GPS to assist you with your road trip routes.
Is it possible to book one-way from Hamilton Airport (YHM)?
You can book a one-way rental from Hamilton Airport. Then, you may drop off your rental car in London Ontario or in the famous Toronto. Simply uncheck the ‘Return car to same location’ box and type in your desired destination to see if your chosen route is allowed and for what cost. One-way rentals usually incur additional charges. You may also check your rental agreement for more details on these.
Do I need unlimited miles when I drive in Hamilton?
Many car rental companies offer unlimited miles as part of their rental agreements in Hamilton. If this is a requirement, check for this option when browsing car rental listings to ensure unlimited miles are included with your Hamilton car rental.
What do I need to bring when I collect my Hamilton Airport car rental?
When collecting your car rentals in Hamilton Airport you will need to present the following:
- A full and valid renter's driver's license. Any additional drivers will also need to present their licenses. Please note that only the permitted drivers are allowed to drive the vehicle.
- A credit card in the name of the renter. This should have enough funds to cover any of the security deposit options.
- Passport or I.D. for secondary identification
If you have other questions about your reservation, or want to cancel pick up service, or you have further queries about after-hours returns, do not hesitate to call our customer support number and we will be happy to assist you with more details on your Hamilton car rentals.