Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Get moving with a Halifax car rental
A rental car from Halifax Airport makes it easy to head out of Halifax once you’ve seen all you wish to see and enjoy the many other scenic and cultural delights of Nova Scotia. From striped lighthouses on beautifully desolate coastlines to cozy seafood restaurants and hiking trails through peaceful forests, there are many great destinations here. Nature lovers in particular will love exploring this incredible province with their own set of wheels.
Halifax Airport car rental locations
The car rental companies supplying Halifax Airport are all located on-site, in the Parkade building, across from the terminal building. This makes it simple to locate your rental car and get on the road. Halifax Airport is serviced by Avis, Hertz, Budget, National, Alamo, and Dollar.
Tips for a top Halifax Airport car rental experience
Quaint seaside town or bustling provincial capital city? Scenic Halifax in Nova Scotia is both: a charming spot with fascinating maritime history and the biggest urban center in the Atlantic Provinces with lots for visitors to see and do. Besides the bracing ocean air, highlights include the many top-notch museums, the waterfront boardwalk, the dining scene and craft breweries, and the Halifax Citadel.
Halifax Airport guide
Officially named Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ), this is the primary air hub of the Nova Scotia province. It has two perpendicular runways and one Air Terminal Building which serves over 4 million passengers per year. There is also a hotel and a business park on the airport grounds.
The terminal provides opportunities for passengers to dine and shop both pre- and post-security. There are also ATMs, a Visitor Information Center, and free WiFi throughout the building.
The Parkade is located across from the terminal, and is also home to the car rental companies operating at Halifax Stanfield Intl Airport (YHZ).
A guide to driving your rental car in Halifax and Nova Scotia
Safe road trips are the best kind of road trip. To help you avoid any trouble during your car rental adventure from Halifax, we’ve put together some simple tips for driving the roads of the city, province, and beyond.
- First things first: drive on the right-hand side! Unlike the residents of other Commonwealth countries, Canadians keep right on the roads.
- Distances are listed in kilometers, and speed in kilometers per hour.
- The fastest speed limit in the province is 110 kph and is found on various highways and freeways. The most common speed limit in urban areas, such as within Halifax, is 50 kph. Always check for the posted signs to verify the speed limit on any stretch of road when driving your rental car in Halifax.
- Nova Scotia can experience harsh winters. If you are driving in the colder months, be prepared. Take care, adjust your speed to the conditions, and beware of black ice. Keep the vehicle clear of snow. Check that your rental car is equipped with winter tires, or just request winter tires ahead of your vehicle reservation date.
- Use of seatbelts or child restraints is mandatory.
- It is illegal to drive in Nova Scotia with a blood alcohol concentration above 0.05%. We recommend abstaining from alcohol entirely before getting behind the wheel.
- It won't hurt to take the handouts freely given at the rental counter, as they may contain a discount code or two for an eatery or for local fuel prices in Halifax. Sometimes there are also offers that come with free fuel delivery service or flat tire service.
Where to take your Halifax Airport car rental
Halifax is a scenic city with an interesting heritage. That means there’s a LOT to do and see! And the fun doesn’t end at the city limits, either. With a car hire you can explore all of gorgeous Nova Scotia, a small province that packs a large punch when it comes to natural beauty and charm.
If you’re planning an epic long-distance road trip in Canada, you might book a one-way car rental between Halifax and another main center like Toronto or Vancouver. A car hire adventure in Winnipeg or Calgary is also fantastic. If you’re sticking around to enjoy Halifax and the surrounding area, check out our destination suggestions.
This Canadian National Heritage Site sits on Citadel Hill overlooking the city and harbor. As well as enjoying the views, visitors can watch reenactments and hear from guides in period dress. There is a museum open from May to October. A great place to start your Halifax car rental adventure!
Maritime Museum and the waterfront
The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is a bucket list destination for history buffs. There is Titanic history on display and much more. Step outside the museum and you’ll find the bustling waterfront area, including the 3-kilometer Halifax Harbourwalk which will take you past plenty of places to eat, drink, and enjoy the atmosphere.
Long Lake Provincial Park
If you’d like to get amongst nature but stick close to the city, this is a fantastic place to go. The park boasts a range of hiking trails suiting different levels of fitness, a lake that’s great for swimming and paddling, and some fantastic wildlife spotting opportunities including beaver dams. It’s just 15 minutes’ drive from downtown.
This charming fishing village has the quaint and classic Nova Scotian charm in spades. It’s just an hour’s drive from Halifax and home to one of Canada’s most-photographed lighthouses. There’s stunning coastal scenery, galleries, museums, boutiques, and plenty of places to eat seafood.
For a memorable day trip or overnight escape while on your Halifax car rental tour, head inland to Truro. It has a historic downtown to explore and many activities on offer. From here you can also witness the incredible tidal phenomena for which the Bay of Fundy is known.
What our customers say
Kia ora, Thank you for the excellent experience,
User friendly, nice and easy browsing through the different options.
What I really appreciate is the Terms & Conditions
are not so wordy:)
Your website is awesome - love the colour scheme great on the eyes, tēnā rawa atu:)
Kind regards, Mon.T
How much does it cost to rent a car from Halifax Airport?
There is a range of car rental rates on offer at Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ), and the price will depend on the supplier, the vehicle you choose, and the time of year.
As a rough guide, you could expect to pay as little as CAD$50-60 per day for the cheapest rent a car Halifax Airport deals, and up to CAD$250 for premium or luxury vehicles.
To find the price that suits you, enter your details into our simple search fields and use the filters to find the vehicle you’re looking for and that fits your budget. You can sort the results by highest or lowest price.
Is it cheaper to get a rental car at the airport?
Most of the car rentals available in Halifax are located at the airport. Rates for depots in other parts of Halifax are comparable to airport rates.
Which car rental companies in Halifax have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Many Nova Scotia car rental companies have special safety policies in place as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can find out more on their websites.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Halifax?
Any type of car is fine for driving in Halifax! If you are heading out into Nova Scotia’s backroads or embarking on a lengthy road trip, an SUV may be more comfortable.
If you are traveling to Halifax in the winter, we recommend that you ensure your rental car will have winter tyres.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental in Halifax?
Yes, most car rental companies on GoSee operate on a “book now, pay later” basis.
How old do I have to be to book a Halifax Airport car rental?
Most companies require that you be 21 years of age or older to rent a car in Canada. Some allow drivers aged 18 and over to rent their vehicles, but there is often a young driver fee.
You can enter your age when searching on GoSee to see which vehicles are available for you.
What do I need to bring when I pick up my car rental from Halifax Airport?
You will need the credit card you used to make the booking, your driver's licence, and your rental confirmation.
Is it possible to book one-way at Halifax Airport?
Yes, many rental suppliers with branches in other cities (mostly airport locations) will allow you to make a one-way rental car booking from Halifax International Airport. Specify your preferred pick-up and drop-off locations when searching rental cars Halifax Airport and you will see the relevant options.
Where is the best place to park in Halifax?
There is plenty of on-street parking in Halifax, and this is free after 6 pm. If you’re exploring downtown, find one of the five parking lots along the waterfront.
What is the speed limit in Halifax?
The standard speed limit on urban roads is 50 kilometers per hour.
Who can drive car rentals Halifax Airport?
You are allowed to book and drive Halifax Airport car rentals if you satisfy the following driver requirements:
- You must provide a valid driver's license; this should be a Canadian driver's license.
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- You must provide a credit card under your name.
- For foreigners - bring the individual's home country license at all times together with an international driver's permit. Foreigner or not, it is best practice to bring your home country driver's license anywhere you go.
Other important reminders:
- The renter must also be the primary driver.
- US driver's license is generally accepted, but it is better to confirm this with the rental supplier.
- There is a surcharge policy when the driver is under 25 years old, which requires an extra fee.
- Temporary driver's licenses are not accepted as renter's driver's license.
- Except when clearly stated like during promotions or special events, expect an extra fee to pay for any additional authorized driver.
- Aside from the hirer who is likewise qualified as the driver, only permitted additional driver must drive the rental vehicle during the entire rental period.
- All additional authorized drivers must also satisfy the driver's license requirements.