Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Car rental Melbourne: Explore Australia’s trendiest city
Pick up your Melbourne car hire and see why this sprawling city is known for its innovation, art, and entertainment. As the proud cultural capital of Australia, its many suburbs are alive with old architecture, rooftop bars, and eateries, and you’ll find one art museum, gallery, and attraction after the other. The best way to GoSee it all is a Melbourne rental car from Tullamarine Airport.
Car hire Melbourne: Pick up locations
Melbourne Airport is an international hub offering a large range of car rental options, with at least 15 providers either on-site or a quick shuttle bus ride away. The car hire agency desks are located opposite Terminal 2 and can be accessed via the walkways from each of the four terminals. For those not flying in via Melbourne Domestic Airport, there are depot locations scattered across Melbourne city and in many of the nearby suburbs.
Getting around the city in your Melbourne Airport hire car
As Australia’s second most populated city, it’s easy to be overwhelmed behind the wheel. However, with the right planning, a good GPS, and a calm driving attitude, you’ll be enjoying Melbourne’s awe-inspiring sights without stress. A few tips to help you on your way:
- Spend some time looking at a map to orient yourself to the surroundings.
- The highways are extensive with multiple lanes, including carpool lanes for those with more than one passenger.
- Expect congested traffic in the main CBD at any hour of the day and try avoiding it during peak times if you can.
- Adhere to the road signs, and when in doubt stick to the slow lanes for an easy exit.
- Parking downtown can be a tad stressful during working hours. Parking structures are tucked away everywhere, however, their costs can be high. Street parking is often cheaper, but with limited time restrictions.
- Note that payment is either coins or credit cards. For more information, check out the city of Melbourne’s parking locations and fees. If the weather is nice, find an all-day parking garage for your Melbourne car hire and explore the city sights on your own two feet.
Explore every alleyway and hotspot with a Melbourne Airport car rental
Where to begin your rental car journey in this mega-metropolis? First, collect your car hire from Melbourne Airport. The rental car counters are located in Terminal 2, accessible from any of the four terminals. This airport is expansive, but effectively laid out with helpful signage and customer service desks. Once you’ve got your keys, hit the hot spots:
- Fuel up on a coffee flight on Degraves Street.
- Snap a photo in front of the iconic Flinders Street station.
- Get your street art fixed down Hosier Lane.
- Stroll down by the Yarra River visiting one of the chic riverside venues.
- Cruise over to St. Kilda beach to watch windsurfers define gravity then pop into Luna Park for some old-school amusement park rides and games.
- For shopping and snacking, wander through Queen Victoria Markets, a historic landmark stretching across two city blocks.
- Pack a picnic for a lounge at the idyllic Royal Botanic Gardens and make sure to climb to the top balcony of the Shrine of Remembrance for an iconic view of the skyline.
- Catch a cricket match or AFL game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- Once you’ve filled up on all things Melbourne, plan a road trip in your long-term car rental Melbourne to the famous Great Ocean Road.
- Go wine tasting down south in the Yarra Valley.
Your options are endless for exploring the great state of Victoria, just make sure to book extra days and unlimited mileage on your rental car.
Selecting the ideal car hire at Melbourne Domestic Airport
Melbourne Tullamarine Airport offers a variety of car hire options including:
- weekly car rental Melbourne
- long term car rental Melbourne
- luxury car rental Melbourne
A few tips for getting the right vehicle for your trip:
- If you will be sticking close to the city, choose a vehicle that’s easy to zip around in and park in a small space. A compact or economy-size is the best for navigating urban streets and often the cheapest car rental option in Melbourne.
- For a longer drive, such as a road trip visiting the famous 12 Apostles on the Great Ocean Road, find a car rental agency with unlimited mileage and a vehicle with a fuel-efficient engine—electric/hybrids are available.
- Bringing your mates along? Don’t skimp on a small size vehicle and go big and comfy with a 7-seater SUV—you’ll be thankful once you cram in all your luggage.
- If you’re visiting Melbourne during the holidays or for a special event, plan ahead and book your desired Melbourne rental car as early as possible.
Looking to start your Australian rental car tour somewhere else? Grab a car rental from Canberra Airport or begin a car hire trip from Sydney International Airport, or even get a Brisbane Airport rental and discover more of Australia. You can also secure a Gold Coast car hire if you are keen on sand, sun and beaches. The choice is yours!
What our customers say
How much does it cost to hire a car at Melbourne Domestic Airport?
The cost per day for a Melbourne car rental airport depends on the season, available deals, and type of vehicle. Book in early to secure the best rate for your Melbourne car hire.
What car rental agencies are at Melbourne Domestic Airport?
Melbourne Domestic Airport has at least 20 options for car rental Melbourne, Australia. It’s easy to find the right vehicle and car hire agency to suit your travel needs. International names such as Europcar, National, Alamo, and Enterprise are available as well as smaller local outfits like East Coast car rentals, Apex car rentals, Alpha car hire, Jucy rentals and Advance car rental.
Which car hire companies at Melbourne Domestic Airport have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Many Melbourne Airport car rental companies are adding a free enhanced cleaning regime to every vehicle hire to ensure safety from any COVID-19 risk. The following brands are offering this service: Europcar, Budget, Thrifty, East Coast, Enterprise, Firefly, Bargain, Alamo, Ace, National, Apollo, and Dollar. To ensure your Melbourne car hire includes this, tick the enhanced cleaning filter on your Melbourne Domestic Airport search. You will also find options for contactless pick up and instant confirmation to minimise risk.
Can I collect a car from Melbourne Domestic Airport and return it somewhere else?
One-way rental car bookings from Melbourne Domestic Airport are available. Simply search for your dedicated destination. Please note, a surcharge for one-way transfers may be added to your booking. For more information, check the rental term details on the desired vehicle—and look out for deals, as some of our partners offer one-way specials. Some restrictions may apply during COVID-19 outbreaks.
How old do I need to be to rent a car from Melbourne Domestic Airport?
You must be 25 years old, with some exceptions. Check the terms listed for each of our partners, as policies vary and may incur a young driver surcharge.
Can I take my rental car to the Ski Fields in Victoria?
This depends on the rental car company you book with. In order to take your Melbourne rental car to the Ski Fields, you must purchase a snow package that covers insurance for this type of scenario.
Do I have to wash the vehicle before I return it?
Washing your Melbourne car rental is generally not necessary. You are more than welcome to clean and/or vacuum—the car rental provider will greatly appreciate it. Petrol must be full when dropped off and any add-ons must be returned.
What’s the speed limit in Melbourne?
Melbourne city has a main speed limit of 40 km/h. Please respect the speed limit and take notice of cycle lanes while driving your car rental Melbourne CBD. On the outskirts of Melbourne, the speed may increase, however, stick to the designated road signs and always slow down near pedestrian crossings. Construction is common throughout the city and speed limits may drop to 30 km/h. Always drive with caution in your Melbourne car rental.
How far is Melbourne Domestic Airport from Melbourne city centre?
The drive from Melbourne Domestic Airport to downtown Melbourne is 22 kilometres, which takes roughly 25 to 30 minutes in your airport car hire. During peak rush hour periods, expect delays up to 45 minutes. The main driving route includes tolls so be sure to ask about this when picking up your car rental Melbourne Airport or hop on Linkt to purchase a Melbourne pass that suits your trip. 24 hour passes, multi-day, or weekend passes are available. Avoiding tolls will likely increase your driving time.