Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Explore the best of Victoria with a Melbourne car hire
Rent a car in Melbourne and discover what makes this Victorian capital such an exquisite place. From the historical landmarks and colourful laneways to the boutique shopping and trendy cafes, this city makes an immediate and lasting impression. Visitors can attend a spectacular sporting event, wander through stunning art galleries, and enjoy world-class dining options all in a day’s work. There are also incredible wineries, unique wildlife encounters, and stunning sightseeing opportunities just outside the city. Make the most of your trip with a Melbourne car rental.
Explore our special offers
Picking up Melbourne car rental
You can pick up a car hire from Melbourne Domestic or Melbourne International Airport. These terminals are located at Tullamarine Airport, just 20 minutes outside the city in the suburb of Tullamarine. This is a well-serviced airport with car rental counters on-site and under one roof, located on the ground floor of the airport Terminal 1, 2 & 3 car park. Visitors flying into Avalon Airport in the City of Greater Geelong (55 kilometres outside of the central business district) will find hire car facilities in the main terminal. GoSee provides you with the best car hire deals from top brands such as Europcar, National, Alamo, Enterprise, East Coast car rentals, Apex, Alpha, Jucy rentals, and Advance car rental. Book now and start a few road trips to enjoy Australia's wonders.
Finding your way around with a car hire in Melbourne
Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your Melbourne car rental.
- Thanks to the general hustle and bustle, Melburnian drivers are known for their no-nonsense attitudes towards traffic, which basically means that if you see an opportunity, take it, because the locals certainly will.
- The fastest way to drive between Tullamarine Airport and central Melbourne is via the M2, the CityLink. This toll road will take 25 minutes (compared to the non-toll roads which will add 10-15 minutes) and will cost roughly $15 depending on where you enter and exit the route. From Avalon Airport, the drive into Melbourne city is about 45 minutes and toll-free.
- One of Melbourne’s most notable features is its trams, which add an extra element to driving in the city centre. You will need to be aware of trams at all times, and remember that they stop regularly on the inner side of the road to pick up and drop off passengers. While you are allowed to overtake the trams, you will need to be sure it isn’t stopping and that you have plenty of time to pass.
- Melbourne also has a lot of traffic cameras, so it’s best not to gamble on breaking the speed limit or running a red light as you may be heavily fined.
- The default speed limit for built-up areas in Melbourne is 50 kilometres per hour. Highways have a default limit of 100 kilometres per hour. Always check posted speed limits for accurate information and follow these when driving your car hire in Melbourne.
- Parking in the city is a challenge, especially in Melbourne CBD, so give yourself plenty of time. Parking buildings or the Crown Casino parkade are often the best places to find spots, or you can park your Melbourne car rentals on the side of the road — just be sure to read the signs as times and rules can change.
- Petrol prices have an average cost of AU$1.40 ($1) per liter, which comes out to about AU$5.29 ($3.78) per gallon.
Rent a car Melbourne: Things to see and do
Shop and eat
If giving your credit card a workout in fabulous boutiques followed by lunch at a wonderful, hip restaurant sounds like a great way to spend your road trips, Melbourne is the place to do it. Head to the laneways, the shopping malls, the District Docklands, or Queen Victoria Market for a day of relaxed enjoyment.
Most little ones will love a trip to nearby Luna Park, the historic amusement park in St Kilda, and some time at the nearby beach. Another option is the SEA Life Melbourne Aquarium, which is not too far from the Royal Botanic Gardens where young and old can explore, learn, and picnic.
The National Gallery of Victoria is a good place to start, and not far away is the Australian Centre for Contemporary Arts. Head across the Yarra, and you’ll find the Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia in Federation Square.
Great spots to learn about the city’s heritage include Cook’s Cottage in Fitzroy Gardens, the Melbourne Museum in Carlton Gardens, and the Immigration Museum near the famous Flinders Street Station, a historical landmark in itself.
Top tips for car hire Melbourne
- From luxury Melbourne car hire to budget car rentals, Victoria’s capital has an amazing selection of vehicles. Why not try something different on your trip like a hybrid/electric vehicle?
- To get a cheap car hire rate from Melbourne Airport, book well in advance and keep an eye out for deals. Our site is the best way to instantly explore the latest offers across multiple brands.
- In addition to SUVs, options also include 7 seater car rentals Melbourne. People carriers/vans are surprisingly popular.
More Australia locations
Australia has many other fascinating cities and locations ready to be explored, including Perth, Gold Coast, Albury, or Sydney. Come and GoSee!
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Which car hire companies in Melbourne have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Most hire car Melbourne companies have updated their vehicle cleaning policies because of COVID-19. For added peace of mind, you can filter your search results by ‘Enhanced cleaning’ to ensure your vehicle goes through a thorough disinfection process prior to pick up.
How much does it cost to get a car rental in Melbourne?
Melbourne car rental rates vary according to multiple factors. To see current rates instantly, type your dates into the search box on this page and compare offers from multiple car hire companies.
What tips are there for hiring a car in Melbourne?
Melbourne has more options than other Australian cities for luxury/premium vehicles and hybrid/electric, so it’s a great place to try out different rental cars. With that being said, you should always hire the car you feel most comfortable driving and is best for your trip. Economy cars are better for city driving, but if you have multiple passengers and are driving out of town, opt for a larger car rental in Melbourne like an SUV.
How old do I need to be to drive a car rental in Melbourne?
Many Melbourne car hire agencies will rent to drivers who are at least 21 years old – but drivers under 25 may have to pay a young driver surcharge.
Where can I get a cheap car hire in Melbourne?
Looking for a cheap car rental Melbourne? You may pick up one at any Melbourne depot in the central downtown area or at airport locations.
Do I have to return my car to the same rental branch in Melbourne?
No, you can opt for one-way car hire and return the Melbourne rental car to a different branch. You can start in Melbourne and end your car rental trip in Canberra, or in Wagga Wagga. Another option would be to complete your hire car adventure in Adelaide, or in other locations in Australia. Check out our website and see available pick-up and drop-off locations. This option may incur an additional one-way fee.
What is the minimum rental period?
The minimum rental period varies per car rental Melbourne brand. Some suppliers allow rental for at least 24 hours, while others have a minimum of 3 days. Please double-check the terms of your chosen Melbourne car hire company before you complete your booking.
What is the highest-rated car hire provider in Melbourne?
Hiring a car depends largely on what you need for your particular trip, but there are a number of highly reputable Melbourne car hire companies including Hertz, Avis, Budget, and Europcar. Get the best car hire deals from these trusted brands when you book with GoSee.
Where are the best places to park in Melbourne?
Need to park your rental car? Melbourne streetside parking is a very popular choice. But in busy areas, you may park in one of the many parking garages across Melbourne's CBD. If you are looking for places to park your campervan in Melbourne, there are some free camping sites and budget-friendly options in regional and national parks. Please note that freedom camping is restricted.
What types of cars can I rent in Melbourne?
You can book several different types of cheap car rentals Melbourne through our website, depending on your needs. Choose from various types including Economy (Hyundai Accent or similar), Intermediate (Toyota Corolla or similar), or SUV (Mitsubishi Outlander or similar). Also, you may find large auto rentals like Toyota Camry Sedan or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, or similar. You can even get luxury Melbourne car hire and explore Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula, or Port Phillip Bay. All of these have car system GPS which can help you with route planning. No matter what rental vehicle you wish to collect, GoSee has everything in store for you.