Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
We’re here for you when you need us
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Explore Tasmania with Launceston Airport car hire
Tasmania is an enchanting island with so much to enjoy—and you can GoSee it all with your Launceston Airport rental car. Located in Tasmania’s north, Launceston is the gateway to exploring Tassie’s 19 national parks as well as the many charming towns nestled in between. With a whole island to explore, complete with natural wonders, cultural attractions, and fabulous food fare, you won’t want to waste a minute.
What you need to know about Launceston Airport car hire
It’s easy to pick up your rental car at Launceston Airport. Major car rental companies are located on-site, with their service desks adjacent to the baggage claim area in the airport arrivals precinct. Simply roll off the plane and into the driver’s seat of your airport rental car.
Driving tips for Launceston and Tasmania
- Some roads can be steep, narrow, and winding, so take extra care and drive to the conditions.
- Check the weather report before you leave for a drive, as conditions can change quickly in Tasmania. If the weather is going to be stormy, think about adjusting your travel times.
- Be wary of wildlife as you drive, especially around dusk and dawn when animals are at their most active and are more likely to be on the road.
- Stick to the speed limit – follow the signage.
- Keep an eye out for one-way streets when you’re in town.
- Just like you would anywhere you go: always wear your seatbelt.
Exploring Launceston and Tasmania in your rental car
Need some help with where to start on your Launceston adventure? Some great local attractions include:
- The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery. This museum holds major collections relating to art, history, and natural sciences.
- Tasmania Zoo. This zoo is home to incredible animals including Tasmanian devils, wombats, tigers, lions, servals, caracals, quolls, emus, koalas, kangaroos, and monkeys.
- Ben Lomond National Park. This park is just a short drive from Launceston and offers up picturesque landscapes, including the titular Ben Lomond mountain. In winter, snow sports are the go, while summer is the perfect time for hiking local trails.
Launceston is one of the island’s oldest cities and is beautiful to explore in its own right, but it’s also an amazing gateway to the rest of Tasmania’s treasures. If you’re keen to take your car rental a little further afield, you’re spoilt for choice. Some other highlights of Tasmania include:
- Hobart, Tasmania’s capital city
- Port Arthur
- Wineglass Bay
- Cradle Mountain.
Choosing your perfect Launceston airport car hire
Picking the right rental car for your trip to Tasmania is key. How many passengers will there be? How much storage space do you need? What kinds of distances will you be driving? These are all important questions to think about as you make your selection.
- While a compact car might be great for short trips around town, if you plan to drive outside of Launceston and into the wider countryside, consider booking a larger hire car like a sedan or SUV to make the experience more comfortable.
- Remember, always try to make your booking as early as possible so you have the widest range of vehicles to choose from at the best price. We love to help you find a bargain!
What our customers say
How much does it cost to hire a car at Launceston Airport?
Car hire prices vary depending on the type of vehicle, time of year, and availability. A quick search on our website will show you up-to-the-minute prices for multiple brands.
What is the cheapest car hire agency at Launceston Airport?
GoSee partners consistently have some of the lowest-priced rentals in Launceston, including Bargain, Alamo, and East Coast Car Rentals. Type in your details to compare multiple brands at once.
Which car rental suppliers are based in or around Launceston Airport?
You can select from more than a dozen different car hire companies with depot locations on or near Launceston Airport, including National, Keddy, Hertz, Avis, Thrifty, and Bargain Car Rentals.
What is the most popular type of car to rent in Launceston?
The specific vehicle models vary by availability, but Compact and Economy models are by far the most popular types of car rental options in Launceston.
Which car hire companies in Launceston have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Our trusted rental providers serving Launceston Airport have updated their health and safety policies for the COVID-19 outbreak to give you that extra peace of mind. Car hire services will be cleaning and disinfecting their vehicles regularly.
Can I collect a car from Launceston Airport and return somewhere else?
You sure can! Major car hire companies serving Tasmania Launceston Airport allow one-way rentals. Use the search feature to view available pick up and drop off locations for car rentals. This may incur a one-way rental surcharge.
Where can I pick up or drop off my hire car after hours in Launceston?
If you need an earlier pick up or later drop-off for your rental car, please choose Launceston Airport as your collection/drop off point and specify the time in your booking. You may need to pre-arrange this with the local depot. Be sure to add on any extras and insurance as you will not be able to do this outside of regular business hours.
Is it cheaper to rent a car ahead of time or at the airport?
You can usually get the best deal and cheapest car hire at Launceston Airport by booking ahead of time. This is because there will be more vehicle availability. If you leave it until you arrive at the airport, you may not be able to find the car you want at a good price, so try to book as soon as you can.
Where is the nearest petrol station to refuel the car at Launceston Airport?
The closest petrol station to Launceston Airport is just a minute away at United Breadalbane, on the corner of Evandale Road and Translink Ave S.
What is the speed limit in Launceston?
Urban areas in Launceston have a speed limit of 50 km/h while rural roads may be between 80-100 km/h – look for speed signage to ensure you are following the right limit.