Why book a rental car with us?
Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
24/7 customer support
Free cancellation on most cars up to 72 hours prior to pick up
Car rental Canberra Airport: Explore Australia’s capital
Australia’s capital is full of charming surprises all within a short drive in your Canberra Airport car rental. Whether you’re visiting for business or pleasure, this small city will serve up great food, attractions, and hospitality everywhere you go. From historic government buildings to museums and galleries, entertainment is around every corner. Head from the capital to the coast and back again, taking your time seeing all the sights with a Canberra Airport car hire.
Explore our special offers
What you need to know about Canberra Airport car hire
Being a small city compared to its counterparts like Melbourne and Sydney, Canberra enjoys relatively relaxed traffic flow. That makes it perfect for your airport rental car as you can leave the airport confident that you won’t be stuck in a jam for hours. The city also tends to have wide and well-signposted roads, making it easy to navigate. However, brush up on your roundabout etiquette as Canberra definitely has its fair share of them—the city is sometimes referred to as Australia’s roundabout capital!
Experience Canberra’s highlights in your car hire
When you land at Canberra’s modern airport, you’ll find the car rental companies on the ground floor just outside the arrivals hall. Enjoy express pick up and be on your way enjoy the city’s hotspots in no time.
If you’re interested in Canberra’s cultural history and significance as Australia’s capital, you should visit:
- The National Gallery – One of Australia’s largest art museums—this gallery is home to more than 166,000 works of art.
- The National Portrait Gallery – A collection of portraits of prominent Australians.
- The Australian War Memorial – The national memorial to those who have served in war.
- Parliament House – Also known as Capital Hill, it is where Parliament meets.
- The Royal Australian Mint – This is where Australia’s coins are made.
- The National Museum of Australia – A museum delving into Australia’s social history.
Nature lovers should check out:
- The National Botanic Gardens – A beautiful collection of native Australian plants that you can view as you wander through the garden.
- Lake Burley Griffin – A stunning lake right in the middle of Canberra, offering opportunities for boating, kayaking, fishing, swimming, as well as enjoying the beautiful views from shore.
Car hire Canberra Airport: Picking the right car for you
Before you make your rental car booking, have a think about your plans:
- If you’re staying close to the centre of Canberra, you’ll likely find an economy-size car that will do the trick for zipping around town.
- If a longer road trip out to bushland or the coast is on the cards, you may wish to opt for a larger and more spacious vehicle like a sedan or SUV.
Don’t forget to try and make your booking early, so you can secure the best car hire deal for your needs. You will have more options for both pricing and vehicle availability if you book as soon as possible.
What our customers say
Car hire prices depend on when you’re looking to hire a car and the type of vehicle you’re after. Prices fluctuate based on availability. Type in your dates into GoSee’s search engine to view current deals.
The cheapest car hires are currently Alamo and Europcar Canberra Airport. This will vary depending on timing and demand, so to find the best deal use our search tool to compare prices across all of the different brands.
Car hire companies that have counters inside the terminal building of Canberra Airport include: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot, Thrifty, Auto Europe, Keddy, East Coast, Firefly, Alamo and Enterprise – giving you plenty of options.
All of the trusted rental providers that serve Canberra Airport, including Thrifty Canberra Airport and Hertz Canberra Airport, have updated their health and safety policies for the COVID-19 outbreak to give you that extra peace of mind. Car hire services will be cleaning and disinfecting their vehicles regularly.
Yes, many of our partners allow you to rent a car from Canberra Airport and return it to a different location. Some restrictions apply, and drop off options may be impacted by COVID outbreaks. A one-way surcharge may also apply.
That depends! Some car rental companies in Canberra Airport may let you rent a car if you’re under 25, usually for an additional fee. It’s best to check with the car depot directly before making your booking.
You can usually get the best deal and cheapest car hire at Canberra Airport by booking ahead of time. This is because there will be more vehicle availability. If you leave it until you arrive at the airport, you may not be able to find the car you want at a good price, so try to book as soon as you can.
If you are late returning your rental car, you may be charged a late fee. This will depend on the rental company’s policies and how delayed you were in returning the vehicle. Try to leave plenty of time for your return trip so that you can get your rental car back to the depot in good time.
Caltex Canberra Airport (Pialligo) is located right on-site at the airport. Just navigate to 1/3 Rogan Street to refuel your car there.
The maximum speed limit in the city is 50 km/h. Remember to look out for signage indicating speed limits, as these may change, especially if you are heading out of central Canberra into the countryside.