Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Explore London with a Gatwick car hire
Pick up a Gatwick airport car hire and cruise into bustling London for your chance to tour iconic sights such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge and the Globe Theatre. Wander through eclectic neighbourhoods such as Camden Town and Notting Hill as you enjoy fascinating historical sites, cultural diversity, and cosmopolitan delicacies with dining options galore and never-ending entertainment. Get a deal on car rental at Gatwick Airport and plan your trip to London, today.
Picking up car rental Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Airport is the country’s second busiest airport with two terminals serving over 43 million passengers every year. Both two terminals, North Terminal and South Terminal offer a variety of shopping and dining options, free WiFi, and charging ports. There are also on-site hotels, pay-per-use lounges, chapels and more.
The airport has car rental depots in both the North and South Terminals. Your pick up location will depend on your rental provider. Check your confirmation for directions prior to your trip and follow the signs upon arrival.
Finding your way around with a Gatwick airport car rental
Car hire must not end when you have booked and picked up the vehicle. Keep these driving tips in mind when you pick up your car rental Gatwick.
- London Gatwick Airport is within an hour drive south of the city, depending on traffic conditions. From the airport, head east on Airport Way to merge onto the M23 towards London. Follow it as it changes into the M25 then take the London Road/A23. Next, follow A237 to A236 to take A217. Make a right turn onto A24, take a slight right on A3, then turn left onto A203. Follow it and make right turn onto A3036. Finally, take a left to follow Westminster Highway. This direction will bring you into the heart of downtown. Do note this route has tolls.
- In central London, congestion charges apply to most vehicles. Be sure to ask your car hire supplier about this upon vehicle pick up.
- One-way streets are common so you should always double check before turning onto a road. The traffic light sequence in England goes: red - yellow - green - yellow - red. At roundabouts, give way to your right. Drivers will often flash their lights if they are letting you into traffic.
- It is expensive and challenging to park in downtown London. We recommend that you find a parking garage online near your car hire destination beforehand, or park your vehicle near train stations and just use public transportation. You may also utilise an online platform or smartphone app to pre-pay for a spot in a parking garage / car parks.
Car rental Gatwick: Things to see and do
Walk the famous sights
A trip to London means you must hit the well-trodden tourist route around the palace and government buildings. From Constitution Hill to the gates of Buckingham Palace, on to Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Downing Street and Westminster. Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey and London Bridge all await you here.
Do a little shopping and a little people watching when you visit this town famed for its market. The experience is a whacky and wonderful way to introduce you to some of the most colourful personalities of Jolly Ol’ London.
Piccadilly Circus and surrounds
This bright and bustling section of London is like a British version of New York’s Times Square. Giant video display boards flanked by lanes and alleys full of pubs, restaurants, performers, stalls, and everything else you could think of will keep you well-fed and occupied as you stroll from one street to the next.
Rental cars Gatwick Airport: Top tips
- One-way car hire from Gatwick Airport is available if you wish to start your trip here and finish it somewhere else. Compare prices using our search widget.
- Not sure what to book? Visit our customer reviews section for some extra guidance from fellow travellers in finding the perfect car hire for your London Gatwick trip.
- Many Gatwick car hire options are manual. If you require an automatic, filter the results to ensure you book the right vehicle for your needs.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Rental cars Gatwick Airport: Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to rent a car in Gatwick?
Prices for car hire at London Gatwick UK can change depending on multiple factors like season and demand, so check current prices by placing your travel details into our booking search widget.
What is the cheapest car rental company in Gatwick?
You can find cheap car hire at Gatwick Airport from companies such as Green Motion and Enterprise. Find the cheapest car hire deals by typing in your travel dates and comparing prices using our search widget.
Can I rent a car from Gatwick Airport?
If you have a full and valid driving licence, a second form of ID and a credit card in your name, you can rent a car from Gatwick Airport. Do note that some car hire companies have age restrictions, and if your license is not in English you may also require an International Drivers Permit.
Which car rental companies are at Gatwick Airport (LGW)?
Car hire companies at Gatwick Airport include Budget, National, Europcar, SIXT, Avis, Budget, Green Motion, Easirent, Arnold Clark, Keddy, Alamo, Ace Rent a Car, SurPrice and Enterprise.
What types of cars can I rent from Gatwick?
From Gatwick, several types of rental cars are available, including compact, economy, intermediate, large, station wagon/estate, SUV, people carrier/vans, premium/luxury and utility vehicles.
How old do I have to be to book a Gatwick car rental?
Age requirements for Gatwick Airport car hire vary by brand, ranging from 21 - 25, with most requiring you to be 25. Type your details into the search form to determine what car rentals are available to you. Some rentals may incur an additional fee for drivers under 25.
Can I book now and pay later for my car rental in Gatwick?
Not all companies allow you to reserve a Gatwick car hire now and pay for it later, as this is the standard car rental process. Filter the results by selecting ‘Pay at Pickup’ under the Payment Type heading to see which car hire brands allow this option.
Is it possible to book one-way from Gatwick Airport?
It is possible to book a one-way from London Gatwick Airport if you wish to drop off the rental vehicle at another destination in the UK. You may kick off your adventure in Gatwick and return the rental car in Bristol or London Heathrow. Simply type in your desired destination to view the car hire deals available and the associated one-way fees.
Which car hire companies in Gatwick have updated their vehicle cleaning and safety policies because of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Each and every Gatwick Airport hire car company has aligned its health and cleanliness protocols with the standards being imposed by the government of UK.
What do I need to bring when I collect my car rental in Gatwick?
Bring your full and valid driving licence, a second form of identification, and a credit card when you collect your car hire in Gatwick. If your licence is not in English, you may need an International Drivers Permit. Be sure to be at the depot during the pick up time and date specified in the rental agreement.