Great value rental rates and exclusive special deals
Why book a rental car with us?
We’re here for you when you need us
Thousands of vehicles to choose from worldwide
On most cars up to 72 hours prior to pickup
Rent a car in Montreal and get exploring
Montreal is known for its incredible French culture, delectable food, and charming Old Port - but it is definitely not known for its public transport. Picking up a car rental at Montreal Airport is the easiest way to get around, from driving up to the top of Mt Royal for views over the city and navigating the cobblestone streets in the Old Port, to trying a classic Quebec poutine at the iconic La Banquise. Your Montreal car rental will help you see it all (and more).
Picking up your car rental from Montreal Airport
Montreal Airport is a relatively small and compact airport, especially for a major North American city. It has just one main terminal, with arrivals on the bottom level and departures upstairs on the second floor. All you need to do is follow the signs with the car rental icon to the exterior parking located on the ground level and enter the ‘Rent a Car’ building, where you’ll find your car rental counter.
Your specific rental car company may also offer their own instructions for car rentals at Montreal Trudeau Airport, so be sure to check your pick-up instructions as well.
Montreal Rental Cars - Trusted Brands
If you are looking to grab cheap hire cars, Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)'s car rental facility is just around the terminal building. You may choose from a wide range of vehicles and get a vehicle service as soon as you land.
The major brands that provide Montreal Airport rental cars include Hertz, Budget, Dollar, Avis, Enterprise, Thrifty, Alamo, and National.
If you are picking up your car rental in the city, hop on the 747 bus or take the free shuttle to the VIA rail line. You can also get a taxi for the quickest travel time.
What you need to know about hiring a car in Montreal
Getting around the city in your Montreal Airport rental car
Montreal is famous for its traffic and its endless roadworks, so take a moment to read our tips before hitting the road in your rental car.
- Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) is just 20 kilometres from downtown, and takes roughly 20 minutes with good traffic (expect 40-45 minutes during peak travel times).
- Always use Google Maps or other GPS technology such as a Waze, as these offer the most up-to-date maps of the city and will direct you around major roadworks.
- Allow extra travel time as you will likely hit traffic or roadwork diversions when driving around the city during your car rental Montreal road trip.
- Montreal Island is the only place in Canada where you CANNOT turn right on red. Take a look at a map of the city to get an idea of the island (the airport and downtown are both located on the island).
- Car pool lanes are not common around Montreal, but a small stretch of the highway between the airport and the city requires you to have three or more people in the car to use the far left lane.
- Road signs are in French. "Arrêt" means stop, "congestion" is traffic, "sortie" is an exit.
- Be extra careful when driving in winter, as snowy conditions are common.
See the sights with your Montreal car rental
- Old Port - The Old Port of Montreal hugs the stretch of land between downtown and the St Lawrence River. It is famed for its beautiful European-style buildings, cobblestone streets, history, and charm. Be sure to visit a rooftop terrace and take a stroll by the water during your rental car Montreal tour.
- Mt Royal - Mt Royal is the large hill that overlooks the city (and where the city gets its name). Park your car rental and pull on your walking shoes to fully explore this beautiful spot and head to Saint Joseph’s Oratory at the top for a stunning view of the city.
- The Markets - Jean Talon Market and Atwater Market are the two major markets in the city. Here you’ll find huge arrays of local fresh produce, fresh bread, butcheries, bakeries, food stalls, and more.
- Montreal Botanical Garden - The Montreal Botanical Garden is not just a wonderful outdoor space filled with local and international flora, but it’s also home to the Biodome, Olympic Stadium, Space for Life Museum, Insectarium, and Montreal Tower, so you can easily spend a day exploring all of its wonders.
Top tips for car rentals in Montreal
- If your itinerary is mostly just driving around the city, opt for a smaller rental car that can zip around traffic and through the small streets of the Old Port.
- Generally, you can pay for toll roads in Canada online, or over the phone. The TollPass Program is offered in many methods, depending on where you rent. The TollPass Program is an electronic toll collection program that permits the renters to drive through electronic toll lanes and pay tolls electronically, so they don't need to pay cash. Make sure to refer to your rental locations policies for toll products.
- Please ensure you have obtained sufficient insurance coverage before you pick up a Montreal Airport car rental. Once you have selected the vehicle you are interested in, read the terms and conditions for that vehicle, or topics such as third-party liability protection, contractually waive renter's responsibility, minimum financial responsibility limits.
- The easiest way to get the best deal or the cheapest car rental at Montreal Airport is to compare all deals in the same place (right here!). Also, be sure to book early to avoid last-minute price jumps.
- Do you have a preferred car rental company that you like to use? Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport has all the major brands, including Hertz Montreal Airport, Budget, Thrifty, Alamo, Enterprise Montreal Airport, and more.
- If you’re making it a road trip and heading to other major hubs, opt for a larger, more comfortable vehicle that is suitable for long drives. A car hire adventure in Toronto, Ottawa, or London is a fantastic idea. Visiting the waterfall capital of the world, Hamilton, in your rental car is also a popular option.
What our customers say
Prompt service in a different time zone.
Car rentals Montreal Airport: Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to rent a car at Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Intl Airport?
Car rental prices at Montreal Airport differ depending on the model of the vehicle you want, the time of year, how far in advance you are booking, and the length of hire. Compare up-to-the-minute prices right here.
What is the cheapest car rental company at Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Intl Airport?
The cheapest car rental company at YUL Airport depends on the rental itself. You’ll often find the best deals from no-frills brands such as Ace Rent a Car, Alamo Montreal Airport, Budget, and Thrifty Car Rental Montreal Airport.
How much is a car rental per day from Montreal, QC Airport?
Daily rates of rental cars in Montreal vary greatly depending on the type of vehicle you want and other factors. The more affordable cars at non-busy times can be as low as $40 per day, but the average price is usually around $100 per day.
What is the most popular rental car in Montreal?
Many people book SUVs for their rent a car Montreal Airport if they are heading out of the city or driving during snowy winter conditions, but compact vehicles are also popular with budget travellers staying within city limits.
How old do I have to be to book a Montreal car rental?
Unlike most provinces where the rental age is 21, you can rent a car in Montreal, Canada at 18. However, drivers will likely need to pay an additional fee if under 25, or what they call youthful driver charges.
Can you take a rental car across the border?
Most of our partnered brands will allow you to take your Montreal Airport car rental across the border into the US, however, you will need to check your rental agreement or coordinate with your specific depot and inform them of your plans.
Is it possible to book one-way at Montreal Airport?
Yes, many rental car Montreal Airport companies offer one-way rentals. You will need to uncheck the ‘return car to same location’ option and enter your preferred drop-off location during your search. Your car rental company may charge a one-way fee as part of this service.
Are there car rentals with unlimited mileage?
Yes. Montreal Airport car rentals usually offer unlimited mileage as part of their rental agreement. Look for the green tick and ‘unlimited mileage’ under the benefits of each rental on the main page of your search results.
What do I need to bring when I collect my car rental at Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Intl Airport (YUL)?
When picking up a car rental at YUL Airport, be sure to bring with you the following:
- Renter's driver's license. Canadian driver's license, International driver's permit, or a home country driver's license is acceptable. Please note that temporary driver's licenses may be refused. If you plan to have additional authorized drivers to the rental, they will also need a valid driver’s license. For more details, refer to the driver's license information policy of your chosen provider.
- A major credit card in the name of the renter in order to pay for the car rental and place a security deposit.
- Valid Passport / I.D.
For the additional authorized driver, please make sure that he is ready with his driver's license requirements too. Please be aware that only permitted additional driver is allowed to drive the vehicle for the entire rental period.
What is the minimum rental period?
Different car rent suppliers have varying minimum days for hiring. This means even if you book for a day, you will still have to pay for the minimum hire period. It would be best to check with your chosen company before you secure payment for your booking and for more information.