One of the world’s largest motorhome rental agencies
Why book a campervan with us?
Quick and easy to find the right vehicle for you
Expert motorhomes concierge team
Discover the Mother City with camper hire Cape Town
Pick up a motorhome hire in Cape Town and feed your adventurous spirit. This cool city on the southwest coast of South Africa offers fascinating history, culinary delights, and trendy social venues to kick off your tour. Just beyond the city limits are spectacular natural surroundings, including breathtaking beaches, calming nature reserves, and verdant vineyards. The famous Table Mountain overlooks the city and busy harbour, inviting visitors to the top either by cable car or energetic hike. It’s a one-of-a-kind destination and a fantastic place to begin a Cape Town campervan hire road trip. Book yours today.
Explore our special offers
What you need to know about motorhome hire Cape Town
Camper van hire Cape Town tips for the savvy traveller
Cape Town International Airport is the main airport serving the city, and South Africa’s second largest. Cape Town Airport CPT is a modern travel hub offering regular flights between major destinations throughout the world. Camper rental Cape Town pick up instructions are unique to each individual rental provider, so it is important to read the booking terms thoroughly and coordinate your pick up plans with the receiving local depot. If you are looking for campervan hire Somerset West or campervan Western Cape, please contact us.
Motorhome rental Cape Town planning tips
Here are a few important points to know before you hit the road of Cape Town in your camper hire for an unforgettable South Africa adventure.
- Everyone wants to have a hassle-free trip, that’s why we recommend those renting a campervan in Cape Town obtain an International Drivers Permit (IDP) before arriving. In addition to your IDP, you’ll need to have a standard full and valid drivers license from your home country.
- In the more remote parts of the country, petrol stations can be few and far between. Fill up when you get the chance and be mindful of closing times. Consider 4X4 campervan hire Cape Town if you plan on venturing off-road.
- You’ll likely encounter toll roads when travelling between main centres in South Africa. Payment can be made by credit card or with cash. There are several e-tolls around Gauteng, which require you to set up a temporary account online. Make sure to run your itinerary past your rental company so they can advise you on what you’ll need when travelling on these roads.
- There are many campsites available in the Western Cape. In order to have a safe trip, make sure you seek out designated camping areas when staying somewhere overnight. If you’re staying with local hosts, make sure to listen to any advice they have on how to stay safe. In case of breakdowns, we recommend including reliable, 24-hour roadside service in your campervan rental Cape Town booking.
- When driving your campervan rental in Cape Town, always keep the doors locked, don’t open your door or window, especially for anyone you don’t know, and take valuables with you instead of leaving them in your vehicle.
- You have the right to ask police or law enforcement officials that approach you for identification. This holds true whether they are uniformed or not.
- When travelling in Cape Town, it is best to plan your route in advance. Make sure you know the road rules, especially since you need to drive on the left-hand side of the road. Be careful when driving, as there’s a higher chance of being involved in a car accident rather than being a victim of crime.
- If you get lost in your motorhome hire in South Africa, we recommend finding the closest business or petrol station and asking for help.
Explore Cape Town in your motorhome rental
You’ll want a few days to enjoy the delights of Cape Town before setting off on your self-drive holiday. Make sure you hit the following highlights:
A coastal route that stretches a line of ritzy drinking holes with beautiful patrons. Surfers at the northern end wait for waves, while at the southern end, you can dip your toes in the tidal pool.
The city’s defining feature, Table Mountain offers a variety of entertainment. Head up the cable car and then abseil 112 metres back down. There are also multitudes of exhausting trails that will get you to the summit. You’ll get a bird’s eye view of the City Bowl from this height.
See the sharks
From cage diving on the open seas to viewing safely inside an aquarium, there are multiple ways to interact with the region’s incredible 40 species of shark. What activity do you dare?
Wine and dine
Cape Town offers a wide variety of culinary delights, with vineyards right on the doorstep of the city. Book yourself in to one of the fabulous restaurant venues for a decadent meal, or two.
Famously known for its maximum security prison, Robben Island is where the former leader of the free and democratic Southern Africa, Nelson Mandela, spent 18 years. District Six lays bare some of the crueller moments of the ‘whites only’ area, exhibiting how more than 60,000 of its residents were forcibly taken from their homes and shipped out to the Cape Flats.
Camper hire Cape Town: Where to go
There are a host of special destinations within reasonable reach of Cape Town. Hop in your camper hire and at your own pace point your wheels in the direction of these great places:
An hour of scenic driving from Cape Town will see you arrive at a totally different world to the city. Explore rolling vineyards, towering mountains and historic wine estates.
Experience the wild natural beauty of the southernmost point of Africa. (This title was mistakenly held by the Cape of Good Hope for quite some time—also worth checking out).
Head in the direction of Cape Point and keep a lookout for the tiny gravelled parking area by the side of the road between Simon’s Town and Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve. Once there, it’s a 15-minute amble down the overgrown footpath until you reach this unspoilt, isolated beach.
Head 1.5 hours north up the coast to this incredible saltwater lagoon. Sample the local oysters and soak in the sun. In certain months, you can even spot whales swimming past.
Addo Elephant National Park
It’s a decent drive away (about 8 hours), but it offers exciting game drives and plenty of wildlife, in addition to the beautiful elephants.
What our customers say
GoSee website was easy to use, straight forward and we were able to save a quote for the car we were interested in. A member of the GoSee team called that evening to make sure we had all of the information we needed and she sent us through the quote again... Thank you for making a stressful situation much more tolerable!!
What kind of driver's license do I need? Do I need an international driver's license?
To have a hassle-free campervan rental trip departing Cape Town, GoSee Travel recommends drivers obtain an International Drivers Permit prior to entering the country. This must accompany a standard full and valid driver's license from your home country.
What if I have a breakdown with a camper?
Many of the campervan rentals include 24-hour assistance. Check the specifications tab on the individual vehicle booking pages for information on inclusions and exclusions.
Is there a one-way rental?
One way rentals from Cape Town to other cities in South Africa are allowed. This means you can travel to Durban or Johannesburg in your motorhome rental. Booking this option may incur additional fees but offers maximum flexibility.
How old must I be to rent a camper?
The minimum age requirement to rent a Cape Town campervan is 23 years old.
What is the minimum rental period?
The minimum rental period for motorhome rentals Cape Town is between 3 and 7 days, depending on the rental provider. Type your dates into the search function to check the availability and associated rental period costs.
What is included in the rental price?
Rental inclusions vary depending on the rental provider and vehicle. Check the specifications tab when comparing vehicles in the search results to see what is included in camper hire Cape Town prices. There will be additional charges if you are returning the vehicle to another city, not the same location where you have picked it up.
Are your vehicles pet friendly?
Most campervan rental companies in Cape Town do not allow pets, with the exception of Safari Rental (powered by Avis).
How do we pay for our rental?
If booking online, you can secure the Cape Town Africa campervan rental by paying for a deposit via a Visa or Mastercard, with the remaining balance to be paid 35 days prior to the pick up. You will also be required to pay a security bond upon collection of your vehicle hire.
How much does it cost to rent an RV in South Africa?
Motorhome hire prices in Cape Town, South Africa vary based on availability, type of vehicle, season, demand and other factors. Use the search function on this page to find and compare the most accurate rates across multiple companies. For example, you might compare Maui motorhomes camper hire Cape Town with Happy Camper. Or just compare all the luxury deals to one another. Remember the cheapest motorhome hire will not likely be the best RV rental Cape Town brands available. Consider what features on which you might be willing to compromise. Our search widget is connected real-time to the booking engine, so you always have the most up-to-date options and rates for rental motorhomes Cape Town.