One of the world’s largest motorhome rental agencies
Why book a campervan with us?
Price beat guarantee
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
Expert motorhomes concierge team
Pick your path in Queensland with a Townsville campervan hire
From Townsville, you can discover the many wonderful destinations in the area. Beach, bush, rainforest, Great Barrier Reef, and the mighty Outback: you can see so many of Australia’s most famous landscapes and natural features with a road trip in this fabulous region. Book your vehicle and start planning the journey of a lifetime!
Explore our special offers
Need-to-know information for your Townsville campervan hire adventure
Tropical and attractive, Townville is an often-overlooked destination in Northern Queensland. From the lovely esplanade in the central city to the fabulous Magnetic Island offshore, museum to aquarium to the distinctive Castle Hill, there is a lot to see and do here for visitors of all kinds.
Guide to driving in and around Townsville
If you’re new to driving in Townsville, driving in Australia, or getting behind the wheel of a campervan, read on. We’ve condensed some important road rules and customs into a quick guide—these are intended to prepare you for a safe road trip that’s memorable for all the right reasons!
- Drive on the LEFT side of the road in Australia! This is, of course, one of the most important things to remember if you are coming from a right-side driving country.
- Always pay close attention to the information and advice you are given when you pick up your vehicle. The depot staff are the experts. Ask them any questions that come to mind and set yourself up for successful operation of the motorhome.
- Drivers and all passengers must wear a seatbelt or use an appropriate child restraint whenever the vehicle is turned on (including when it is stationary, but not when parked).
- If you are heading into the Outback, be prepared. It is hot and remote. Travel with plenty of water and food in the vehicle in case you become stranded and/or can’t get to civilisation quickly. Carry a method of communication, and always fill up with petrol or diesel when you have the chance.
- Beware of cane trains! These trains run on a dedicated narrow-gauge railway network around Queensland during the crushing season which runs from June to November. Some road crossings are marked with signs but lack barriers. Drivers should always keep a close eye out at crossings and give way to the trains.
- Distances in Australia are posted in kilometres, and speeds in kilometres per hour. The most accurate way to determine the speed limit on any given stretch of road is to check the posted signs.
- The blood alcohol concentration limit for fully licenced drivers in Queensland is 0.05%.
Travel inspiration for your motorhome rental from Townsville
Northern Queensland has a huge number of fantastic destinations and natural wonders to offer intrepid travellers. The tropical climate, friendly towns and cities, spectacular rainforest, and miles of coast make this an ultimate holiday region—but where to start?
Listed below are some suggestions for where you could take your camper rental from Townsville. We hope these are helpful in your travel planning endeavours!
Cairns and Daintree Rainforest
Head north to visit laid-back Cairns and head out to see the incredible Great Barrier Reef with one of the many cruise or diving operators on this coast. Just beyond the city is the vast Daintree Rainforest, part of the largest area of contiguous rainforest on the Australian continent. This is an unmissable destination for nature lovers—lace up your walking shoes and explore.
A little more than three hours of driving from Townsville will see you in Airlie Beach, gateway to the Whitsundays area. This archipelago of 74 tropical islands features white-sand beaches, clear waters, gorgeous coves, and underwater vistas. Visitors have the opportunity to experience all kinds of water-based activities from swimming and sailing to diving and parasailing.
Cloncurry and the Outback
Looking to explore the Outback and not sure where to begin? Make your way to Cloncurry, a tight-knit rural community that is the birthplace of the Royal Flying Doctor Service and packed with all kinds of Outback history and heritage. From this welcoming base, you can extend your trip into the remote and awe-inspiring landscapes of Australia’s central plains.
It’s a journey of at least three days in a campervan hire to Brisbane from Townsville, but we’d recommend taking longer to make the trip so you can enjoy all there is to see and do along the way. The Whitsundays, Rockhampton, Gladstone, and Bundaberg are all great places to stop, and there are several National Parks to discover on the coastal route between the two cities.
What our customers say
How much does it cost to hire a campervan in Townsville?
The cost of a campervan hire in Townsville will vary greatly depending on the type of vehicle, supplier, and season. A basic sleepervan may cost less than AUD$50 per day as a base rate, while a larger campervan will cost upwards of AUD$150 per day.
To find a rental that suits your budget, use the price range filter to narrow down your GoSee motorhome hire search results. These are listed with the lowest price first by default, making it easy to spot a deal.
How old do you have to be to rent a motorhome in Townsville?
Most motorhome suppliers rent only to customers 21 years of age or older. Some may accept customers aged 18 plus, but there are often stipulations and/or fees attached.
When is the best time to hire a campervan in Townsville?
The winter months of June to August and those months directly either side of this season are generally considered the best time to travel in Northern Queensland. Summertime can be very hot and wet, while winter is drier and cooler.
What driving license is required to get a campervan hire in Townsville?
You can drive a campervan in Australia with your full, valid licence from your home country. If the licence is not written in English, you will need an accredited translation or an International Driving Permit in addition to the licence.
Can you park your campervan anywhere in Townsville?
No, Townsville has parking restrictions in certain areas like most cities. Check for any signs which specify time limits, no-parking areas, or applicable parking fees.
Are pets allowed?
You can select “Pet Friendly” in the search filters to see whether there are any rentals that allow pets.
Is there a minimum rental duration?
Yes, some companies have a minimum rental period. This will be specified when you search; you may be able to take the vehicle for a shorter period but will still be required to pay to cover the minimum period.
Do I have to return the vehicle with a full tank?
Yes, the vehicle will be handed over to you with a full tank of fuel and you must return it with a full tank.
Are there RV rentals with unlimited mileage?
The majority of campervan rentals in Australia include unlimited mileage. This will be specified in the search listing for any individual vehicle.