One of the world’s largest motorhome rental agencies
Why book a campervan with us?
Price beat guarantee
GoSee are your trusted Aussie travel experts
Expert motorhomes concierge team
Make it memorable with a motorhome hire from Sydney
Australia’s harbour city is full of iconic sights. There’s the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, the white sands of Bondi Beach, the stunning skyline, and the scenes at Circular Quay where mega cruise ships dock and ferries come and go. The visual appeal is not all that Sydney has going for it, either: from eating and drinking to all kinds of entertainment, this worldly and energetic city will have something to keep everyone happy.
Explore our special offers
All you need to know for your Sydney motorhome rental adventure
Staying safe and secure while on the road is the best way to guarantee an enjoyable, memorable road trip in the city and beyond. Many customers picking up their rentals are either driving in Australia for the first time, driving in Sydney for the first time, or behind the wheel of a camper for the first time. Even those with previous experience can benefit from a brush-up on the road rules!
Guide to driving in Sydney
We’ve put together a few important points to read before you hit the road in your Sydney campervan rental. These will contribute towards a great experience with no expensive or time-consuming incidents.
- Our number one piece of advice, which applies to all renters, is simply this: listen closely to the information you are given when the depot staff orient you to the vehicle. Take notes if necessary, and ask any questions that pop into your head. The supplier team will be your best source of information on how to correctly operate the specific vehicle you are renting.
- Drive on the left! All traffic in Australia must drive on the left-hand side of the road. International visitors may not be accustomed to this, and should take an hour or two on low-speed roads to familiarise themselves with the idea before hitting the highways.
- Be aware of the size of the motor home hire vehicle you are driving. If you have a travelling companion, it can be helpful to assign them as a spotter when parking.
- Default residential/urban speed limits in Sydney are 50 kilometres per hour. Limits on motorways and open roads can be as high as 110 kph. Always check for speed limit signs which will provide the most accurate information.
- Sydney is a major urban centre and has plenty of traffic. If possible, we suggest that you plan any driving within the city limits around the typical commute hours.
- Pay attention to which lanes are headed where, particularly on the motorways. It’s common for those new to the city to accidentally cross the harbour bridge because they got stuck in the wrong lane!
- The legal blood alcohol concentration limit for fully-licenced drivers is 0.05%. It’s best to avoid drinking completely before getting behind the wheel of your hired camper.
See and do: planning your Sydney campervan adventure
Picking up an RV hire in Sydney puts you at an exciting crossroads: where should you go, and what should you do? New South Wales has famously beautiful mountains and beaches, more energetic cities, many national parks, wine regions, and of course borders with four other states or territories to explore.
To help you pick your path, we’ve put together a few destination options. Any of these suggestions would make a great feature on your motorhome road trip itinerary. Combine a few and add your own ideas for the comprehensive roadie of your dreams.
The Blue Mountains
In close proximity to Sydney, this national park makes a fantastic first stop. It’s a World Heritage region and gets its name from a slate-coloured haze produced by the deep canopy of eucalypts covering the slopes. A visit here is all about natural beauty, from towering peaks to deep and densely forested valleys. There are plenty of campsites where you can stay awhile, and so many walking tracks to take you deeper into the glorious wilds of the Blue Mountains National Park. If walking’s not your bag, you could opt for one of the many tours or adventure activities—like canyoning—as a way to get up close and personal.
Canberra and ACT
A morning or afternoon of solid driving from Sydney in your campervan rental will see you in Canberra, Australia’s capital city. This is a great destination for anyone interested in history as the city is packed with museums, memorials, and galleries. It has great dining and nightlife scenes, too. Venture into the surrounding small-but-mighty Australian Capital Territory to find bushland reserves filled with wildlife, lakes, waterfalls, and more.
The North Coast
This stretch of shore from Sydney all the way to the border with Queenstown is perfect for a laid-back, beachy road trip. Hug the coast to enjoy famous surf towns/beach resorts like Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, and myriad smaller communities. If you head a little inland along the way, you’ll discover the Hunter Valley wine region and Tamworth, Australia’s country music capital. This route makes a great one-way trip from Sydney—finish up in bold, sunny Brisbane and hit the theme parks of the Gold Coast as a grand finale.
Make your way inland from Sydney to enjoy the vastness of Australia’s Red Centre. Any trip into the Outback is a memorable journey, and this is no exception. Historic paddle-steamer towns, stunning national parks, encounters with Aboriginal sites and culture, and endless horizons await intrepid travellers. Broken Hill, a heritage opal mining town amidst rocky red landscapes, makes a great destination to aim for—but you could extend your camper van hire adventure to reach South Australia and the stately city of Adelaide.
A road trip between Sydney and Melbourne could be done several different ways. This option could see you meandering along the coast over several days, enjoying the beaches and highlights such as the Diamond Coast and Wilsons Promontory which is hugely popular with campers. You could also take the inland route, stopping at Canberra then making your way through the historic Victorian Goldfields region to end up in marvellous Melbourne. Kosciuszko National Park, a hugely diverse alpine area with ski fields operating in the winter months, is worth a detour on either journey.
What our customers say
How much does it cost to hire a campervan in Sydney?
Can I rent a campervan in Sydney with a toilet and shower?
How long does it take to collect and drop off a campervan in Sydney?
The time it takes to complete the pick-up and drop-off process will vary depending on the camper van hire supplier. We recommend that you set aside at least an hour for picking up and dropping off your rental, to allow yourself a margin of error in your schedule.
Do I need a special license to rent and drive a campervan from Sydney?
Are one-way campervan rentals available from Sydney?
Yes, many camper van hire suppliers have branches in multiple cities and will allow one-way trips. To find a vehicle for a one-way trip, specify the pick-up and drop-off location when you search and double-check that your booking request has the correct details. Some companies may charge a one-way relocation fee.